AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sump or no sump?

Registered Member

Default Sump or no sump?

So I have been in and out of the hobby for awhile now and want to get back to what I enjoy, Discus! With that said I already have a fish room with many other fish and a complete air system. All tanks are individually driven by air and filtered on their own. Recently I have the please of meeting a long idol Gabe Posada rom Jack Wattley Discus, him and Discus Hans I have been reading about or years. Anyway I am setting up a rack all 20H's total of 8 of them. I was going to run a sump so that when one spawning pair started it triggers another pair, however currently their would only be one pair anyway) I have R/O water and could heat it to match the system so constant water changing and cleanliness is their. MY question is to Sump or not to sump? I have a sump I could easily return water keeping the system o around 200 gallons easier to medicate, heat, and balance better. OR no sump and use the the drilled tank to overflow straight to the drain and then not need another pump or anything?

The Setup
    8 x 20Gallon Highs (4 per shelve)
    Ability to sump with central filter Heater and fill.

OR

8 x 20 Gallon Highs (4 per shelve)
    Multiple heaters, Individual tanks, potential issues with smaller water volume
    Last edited by cjermont; 09-25-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Sump or no sump?

Quick question.
    Where did you get the idea that a breeding pair would stimulate, via a sump, would stimulate breeding for another pair.
    Also, it is not easy to develop a breeding pair, let alone get them to mate, and then raise fry.
    This is not an easy thing to do at all though might seem easy when some of the experts on this site post about their experiences.