ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about discus feeding

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Question about discus feeding

Try here in the UK…… https://www.tropicalmarine.co.uk/pro...-blackworm-25g

Quote Originally Posted by wuvarien View Post
    Any idea of a good supplier of FDblkW for the UK?
    Or here

http://taaquaculture.uk/Freeze_Dried.htm
    Last edited by seanyuki; 11-24-2022 at 05:02 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post

Brilliant! thank you

Registered Member

How much fdbw cubes would be a good amount to feed 6 juvies who are approx 3-1/2 months old.
    presently I feed about a a third of a cube 3x /day along with a pellet food 3x/day.
    Good or not enough?
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Freeze dried Tubifex (from supplier Francis linked above):
    Crude Protein - Min. 54.0%
    Crude Fat - Min. 9.0%
    Crude Fiber - Max. 2.0%
    Moisture - Max. 5.0%

Freeze dried Black Worms (from Al's FDBlkW @ aquaticsuppliers.com)
    Crude Protein - 66.35%
    Crude fat - 13.87%
    crude fiber - 0.24%
    Moisture - 3%

I did order some tubifex, though I haven't heard anything for almost two weeks so wonder if I should hit them up.
    I would get back with them. Generally they are quite fast.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

I had 10 now down to 8, started at 2.5" and those suckers probably would eat a cube per day per fish and still be hungry.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Just bought a 100g bag of the FDBlkW for the morning feed time, let's hope they enjoy them :P

Real Name
    Jacob

Just bought a 100g bag of the FDBlkW for the morning feed time, let's hope they enjoy them :P
    Mine "hate" them. Which is weird.
    The other tanks love them. I put some garlicguard on one cube and a single discus pecked that cube once yesterday. "Hmm... this doesn't smell very expensive."

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Mine "hate" them. Which is weird.
    The other tanks love them. I put some garlicguard on one cube and a single discus pecked that cube once yesterday. "Hmm... this doesn't smell very expensive."
    For the past couple of months mine have been solely fed on beefheart.... spoilt buggers

Real Name
    Jacob

For the past couple of months mine have been solely fed on beefheart.... spoilt buggers
    Mine have been primarily on just straight beef heart (that I processed, nothing added). They some other mix of FDBlkW from Al, VibraBites, frozen Hikari blood worms, Discus Bio-Gold, and Cobalt flake (the one with Han's name on them). All of them love the blood worms, but it's a pretty infrequent treat (like once a week). I can see how people get suckered into getting them hooked on that stuff. The beefheart right during/after a water change they will absolutely devour, something that I attribute to the fact that the incoming water moves the beef heart around a bit, something for them to chase. But when I toss one in right away in the morning they're kind of non-commital about it most of the time. Eating about half depending how much they ate the night before. They usually clean it up eventually. Then I rotate through the other stuff and all the fish seem to have different favorites. Some like to peck at vibrabites off the bottom, some don't seem to. Some will eat the flake, some don't, and some spit it back out. *shrug*
    The tubifex they have gotten less and less happy about as I've been feeding it the last few weeks. Which kinda stinks because that was my replacement for FDBlkW because I don't fell like paying like $200/lb. I don't mind processing the beef heart again when I need to (I did a 50# box netting about 32# of beef heart grind) in February last year. I still have a lot of that left. So it's not like it is something I need to do every few weeks or anything. But I do wonder if I could make the beef heart more appealing to them. Or am I becoming a softy and letting them dictate what I feed them too much? Tough to tell haha
    Additionally, I've never fed discus before, especially as mine move from the 2.5" piranhas they were almost a year ago to the 5.5" (sub-?) adults that they are now. Mainly... is the seemingly massive food consumption drop off I've seen normal? I expect it is and that might be why they're hesitant to eat some of the new stuff, because they're simply not that hungry.

Registered Member

@liz what worms are collected in sewers?!?

Tubifex can live in sewer water. If collected live from that water and fed to fish they could well produce illness in the fish. But now that they are sold commercially they are grown in farms in clean water. They could not be produced in bulk as a food that could be trusted any other way.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Tubifex can live in sewer water. If collected live from that water and fed to fish they could well produce illness in the fish. But now that they are sold commercially they are grown in farms in clean water. They could not be produced in bulk as a food that could be trusted any other way.
    Eeeek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12