ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stunted Juvenile Discus?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Default Stunted Juvenile Discus?

67075.jpg

Hello, new to the forum and to keeping discus. I have been keeping african cichlids for years and have recently purchased 15 Altum Flora discus from Myrtle Beach Discus in the 3"-3.5" size, assuming they are from IP Discus (the Tan brothers). They arrived exactly 2 weeks ago, and are already coloring up.

The first week was somewhat stressful for the fish as I was adjusting to aging water properly and dealing with an ammonia spike, but things have settled and I am changing 60% water each day and dosing with prime and stability until my cycle catches up to 15 new fish in a 75 gallon. The daily water changes will of course continue indefinitely until they are moved into a 210 gallon once grown.

My question is, do the pictured fish appear to be stunted already? Especillay the larger, colorful one centered?

They are all in the advertised 3-3.5" range, and are fed a variety of FDBW, Fluval Bug Bites Flakes, Hikari Vibra Bites and Discus Bio Gold 4-5 times daily. PH is 7.6-7.7 on average, and I have the tank filtered with 4 hikari XL sponges and a large air pump. Water temps are always right above or below 85 degrees.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! I certainly have the time and ability to take care of these fish properly, I am just concerned I may be missing something.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Stunted Juvenile Discus?

They look fine to me! Keep up what your doing and they should grow nicely. I rarely use prime. But isn’t stability the same thing as prime? I don’t think you need both. Have you tested your tap water?

Real Name
    Frank

Stability helps with the cycling. Supposedly, speeding it up.
    Discus look great to me, also.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    They look fine to me! Keep up what your doing and they should grow nicely. I rarely use prime. But isn’t stability the same thing as prime? I don’t think you need both. Have you tested your tap water?
    Thanks for the reply. Stability is to boost beneficial bacteria, prime neutralizes chlorine/metals and can help temporarily with ammonia and nitrate/nitrites.

Tap water comes out in the mid to high 8's PH, when I age it overnight it drops down to mid to high 7's. I have a Brute barrel for aging.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Stability helps with the cycling. Supposedly, speeding it up.
    Discus look great to me, also.
    Glad to hear others' opinions. I waited months for these fish to become available, I'm very concerned and committed to raising them as best as I am able.

Real Name
    Brian

If you tried you could probably find some slight flaws but that's true with 99.9% of all discus.

I don't see anything to be concerned about, although the one on the right is a bit pointy. No biggie at this point.

Keep up with your water changes and cleaning and you'll end up with some really nice discus. You have a nice group there!

But, with your maintenance routine I don't think Stability is necessary.

Overall I'm impressed not only by the fish but even more with the apparent research you have done and how you manage your pH swing.

Although the fish on the right is has the pattern I like the best, I have to agree with Brian. In the pic is does look pointy. It doesn't seem to be holding it's dorsal fully extended so it may well look better in real life or a different pic.

Overall, it's a lovely group. Keep up the good work.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If you tried you could probably find some slight flaws but that's true with 99.9% of all discus.

I don't see anything to be concerned about, although the one on the right is a bit pointy. No biggie at this point.

Keep up with your water changes and cleaning and you'll end up with some really nice discus. You have a nice group there!

But, with your maintenance routine I don't think Stability is necessary.
    Thanks jeep!

I think it's a combination of the angle of the picture and the dorsal fin not being extended for the 'pointy' one on the right. He is one of the tallest fish in this group and in the top 5 in regards to size.

Will keep up the routine. I am a snob with the quality of my Africans, same applies here for my discus now. Will do everything I can to ensure these fish are healthy and happy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Overall I'm impressed not only by the fish but even more with the apparent research you have done and how you manage your pH swing.

Although the fish on the right is has the pattern I like the best, I have to agree with Brian. In the pic is does look pointy. It doesn't seem to be holding it's dorsal fully extended so it may well look better in real life or a different pic.

Overall, it's a lovely group. Keep up the good work.
    Thank you for the kind words, Liz!

As mentioned above, it's mostly a combination of the angel of the picture and his dorsal fin not being extended. He is one of the larger fish in the tank, and yes, his pattern is by far the most unique.

Excited to get those SS's from you soon! They will have a much smoother transition now that I have a better understanding of my water than I did previously.

Real Name
    Tom

Being your changing 60% daily the stability is just being removed with water change. Next your doing a fish in cycle so over time your tank will cycle. All the water changes will keep the fish healthy.

The Stability is a big help, but WCs are needed as well to establish a good cycle.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Will keep up the routine. I am a snob with the quality of my Africans, same applies here for my discus now. Will do everything I can to ensure these fish are healthy and happy.
    Sounds like you're well on your way to becoming a discus snob as well, just like the rest of us

Real Name
    Steve

FYI, a lot of us use Seachem's Safe, the pond version of Prime. Stronger so you use less and cheaper.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    FYI, a lot of us use Seachem's Safe, the pond version of Prime. Stronger so you use less and cheaper.
    Steve, do you mix it before putting it in the water? Or do you just put the recommended tsp in the water?

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Being your changing 60% daily the stability is just being removed with water change. Next your doing a fish in cycle so over time your tank will cycle. All the water changes will keep the fish healthy.
    A little dense. Are you saying that 60% daily is enough? Or, just do the fish and let the tank cycle naturally?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast