AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Source for high quality angelfish?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Default Source for high quality angelfish?

Planning on getting a group of angels in a few months once my grow out tanks are empty and the discus have moved to the show tank. I was looking at angelmania.net as a potential source due to their large variety, but after reading reviews it seems like the fish you order are not always the fish you receive...

On the hunt again for high quality angels. I prefer the "wild-type" look, especially the Manacapuru angels. Not up to the task for real altums yet, but I do enjoy the altum "look". Any suggestions on where to start looking? Not about to put Petsmart-quality fish in the same tank as my discus!

Thank you in advance!

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Source for high quality angelfish?

I'm not sure of online retailers, but if you're anywhere close to Indianapolis, the Reef Aquarium Shop is a fantastic place and I've never been disappointed in their quality. Have a look there for their P. Scalare angels. They're a little pricey, but well worth it IMO.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    I'm not sure of online retailers, but if you're anywhere close to Indianapolis, the Reef Aquarium Shop is a fantastic place and I've never been disappointed in their quality. Have a look there for their P. Scalare angels. They're a little pricey, but well worth it IMO.
    We are only 1.5 hours from Indy, will have to check them out next time we are there. Thanks for the tip! Always prefer to support LFSs too
    Last edited by GalaxyKoiBoi; 10-03-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Real Name
    Willie

I got fantastic (real) manacapurus from Tangled Up in Cichlids. I've search for real ones for 2 - 3 years and wasted a good amount of money on fish that didn't pan out. Saw them at the Triple Crown Convention over the Summer and ordered them as soon as I got home.

Based on prior experience, I would never keep domestic angelfish in with my discus. However, I've seen wild scalare kept with discus through Asia with no problems.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Frank

You might try snookn1 at aquabid. Got some solid, healthy Pervians from him several months ago.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I got fantastic (real) manacapurus from Tangled Up in Cichlids. I've search for real ones for 2 - 3 years and wasted a good amount of money on fish that didn't pan out. Saw them at the Triple Crown Convention over the Summer and ordered them as soon as I got home.

Based on prior experience, I would never keep domestic angelfish in with my discus. However, I've seen wild scalare kept with discus through Asia with no problems.
    I've seen them on Instagram, he gets very beautiful fish. Will have to look into that, thanks for the tip!

Edit: yes, trying to stay away from domestic fish. If I can find some F1 or F2 Peruvians i would be very happy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    You might try snookn1 at aquabid. Got some solid, healthy Pervians from him several months ago.
    Was actually looking at him last night. Looking for a group of 10 or so, will have to start saving my pennies!

Real Name
    Willie

Have gotten lots of high quality stuff from John in the past. For spendy manacapurus though, ask for pictures. This is what I got from Tangled Up in Cichlids.

Manacapuru1.jpg

manacapuru2.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Have gotten lots of high quality stuff from John in the past. For spendy manacapurus though, ask for pictures. This is what I got from Tangled Up in Cichlids.

Manacapuru1.jpg

manacapuru2.jpg
    Beautiful fish! Will certainly consider tangled up when I'm getting ready to purchase