ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How often should JUVENILE discus be fed while on vacation?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Default How often should JUVENILE discus be fed while on vacation?

The wife and I are going on our anniversary trip this week. I have 15 3.5" discus I've had for about 3 weeks now in a 75 gallon with 4 XL sponge filters. If I could have timed it differently I would have waited to get the fish after our trip, but I simply couldn't so I'm making it work.

Water changes are somewhat taken care of. My FIL will come over twice during the week to do water changes (showed him how to last night and slipped him some $$ since it IS a chore). He has kept piranhas and arowana before, so I trust him to take care of my fish for 6 days while we are out of town. The WC schedule is as follows;

Saturday - 80% (me)
    Sunday
    Monday- 60% FIL
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday- 60% FIL
    Friday
    Saturday - 80% (me)

Now, if they were fully grown adults I would just fast them for the week, but since they are still growing I don't want to starve them and potentially slow or stunt their growth. I also don't want an ammonia spike when I am not here to watch them if they get fed too much. Their regular schedule is 60% WC everyday and 5-6 feedings of FDBW, BB shrimp, and various Hikari dry food.

So, how often and how much should I have my FIL feed them? They have not eaten yet today, so technically they will have been fasting for 24 hours by the time I do the large WC today and we leave. I'm thinking having him feed them only on days when he changes water, but I'm very nervous about stunting their growth. But, a tank of dead fish from an ammonia spike would be so much worse of course. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: How often should JUVENILE discus be fed while on vacation?

I have found the key to having someone else feed my discus while on vacation is to have everything measured out. I have adult discus so I left a measuring scoop with instructions of just ONE scoop mid-morning, once a day. I did tell him to not let the fish lie to him to give them more.
    I feed my youngsters 3x per day. I might go 2x a day on vacation since I am not raising show fish.

Real Name
    Tom

I think they’d be fine for a week with no food or water changes. But if you’ve got someone you trust to change the water. Have them feed them to on those days. Leave out food to be fed. Like I said for me I wouldn’t feed or change water for the week.

Real Name
    Brian

I just returned after 7 days away. I stopped feeding them 1 1/2 days before I left and did 60% water change the day before. No food and they are fine. Getting ready for a WC now then food!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I think they’d be fine for a week with no food or water changes. But if you’ve got someone you trust to change the water. Have them feed them to on those days. Leave out food to be fed. Like I said for me I wouldn’t feed or change water for the week.
    Portioned 1/2 tsp food mix and 1 brine shrimp cube for each day he is changing the water. That's maybe half of what they would eat in a normal day, but as small as they are I really want them to have something to eat throughout the week. Appreciate the advice!
    Last edited by GalaxyKoiBoi; 10-08-2022 at 03:00 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I have found the key to having someone else feed my discus while on vacation is to have everything measured out. I have adult discus so I left a measuring scoop with instructions of just ONE scoop mid-morning, once a day. I did tell him to not let the fish lie to him to give them more.
    I feed my youngsters 3x per day. I might go 2x a day on vacation since I am not raising show fish.
    I'm just concerned about an ammonia spike if they get fed too much while I'm out so I've portioned an amount of food for each day he will be changing the water. Appreciate the advice!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I just returned after 7 days away. I stopped feeding them 1 1/2 days before I left and did 60% water change the day before. No food and they are fine. Getting ready for a WC now then food!
    It will be a relief when I am back too and can make sure they are getting all the care they need. Glad your fish are doing well!

Real Name
    Brian

I think it's critical that they not be fed for 1-2 days before leaving so they don't put waste into the water. Also, make sure you clean the filters. I've used this method for up to 2 weeks with no issues...

Real Name
    Jacob

I left mine for a week at 4-4.5" no food no WC, I wouldn't be too worried. If he's doing water changes just have him feed a bit then. I lowered temp down to 82 from 85 while I was gone.

Good chance to intro new food when you get back too if you're looking to get them on something new.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I think it's critical that they not be fed for 1-2 days before leaving so they don't put waste into the water. Also, make sure you clean the filters. I've used this method for up to 2 weeks with no issues...
    This is what I did. Cleaned the sponge filters several days before, stopped feeding them the day before we left. First water change while I'm away has been done, apparently everyone is doing fine!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I left mine for a week at 4-4.5" no food no WC, I wouldn't be too worried. If he's doing water changes just have him feed a bit then. I lowered temp down to 82 from 85 while I was gone.

Good chance to intro new food when you get back too if you're looking to get them on something new.
    Good idea on the new foods when I'm back. I will have to power feed when I get back so they catch up on any missed growth while I was away. Lowered the temp a degree or two before I left as well.