ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water

Registered Member

Default Re: Water

Makes sense I’ll build some spray bars for the returns. I can’t tell you guys how much I appreciate the input! Thank you both l!
    How much to water storage would you think I might need my 4 tanks and the sump are 40 breeders

Real Name
    Brian

I'd think 120-150g would be a solid place to start. FYI, my storage is not in my fish room. I use a transfer pump from 30 feet away to fill the tanks, so as long as you have a strong enough pump and enough hose, you can age your water anywhere...

Real Name
    Brian

This is what Liz uses. I wish I had room http://www.smokefireandgold.com/aqua...nd-frames.html

Here's another shot. When I was in Liz's area I saw these things all over the side of the roads, lol... https://www.shoppok.com/easternshore...EAN-PINES-.htm

Registered Member

So try keeping around 250-300 gallons on hand? I have the 125 gallon now and the 2 55 gallon drums I could set up if I could find a place to put them. I have a pump inside my storage now and run it under the house and back threw the floor into my breeders. the sump has a overflow to the sewer. I got all my tanks set up like this so water changes are a breeze. I simply just have to open valves or plug a pump in and the new water flows into the tanks and the old out the sump overflows.

Real Name
    Brian

Another option is to split maintenance into 2 phases. I can age my tap water in just a few hours if I use warm water and strong circulation to age it...

Real Name
    Willie

I run double racks in my fish room. Fish tanks are on top and the bottom rack holds storage tanks. Specifically, the 6' racks have 125's on the bottom while the 4' racks have 75's on the bottom. So the conditioning tank has ~90% the capacity of the fish tanks. After draining the top tank, a water pump in each bottom tank pumps aged water into the top tanks. The conditioning tanks are then filled with a hose from the sink.

Some people prefer not to give up the capacity, but I found that discus don't thrive in my lower racks.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by ai823 View Post
    So my tap water is around 8 ph and tds of 320. I have a brs 7 stage 200 gpd ro/di unit with all new filters membranes and resin. I’ve been doing it as a 75/25 ro to tap water but my ph is unchanged for the most part. my tds is down to 90-100 but my ph is 7.9-8 still. I’m assuming I need to get my ph down a little bit, I was hoping the ro setup would help with that but it doesn’t seem to. What is a good starting point to shoot for on water specs and what’s my best way to get there? Any help would be appreciated.
    My ph is around 8.9 at 110 ppm no problem hatching this is from my reserve water. Also if the breeding pair has a low hatch count I may lower the ph to 6.5 to 7 at 70 ppm, the difference may not be too different because of the water but the sperm count is just low.

So your 75/25 with RO at 90 to 100 should be good to go.

Cliff

Registered Member

One of my pairs just laid eggs for the first time!!! Pretty exciting.. they will probably eat them but progress none the less

Registered Member

Congrats, they look fertile.

Cliff

Registered Member

How can you tell? They are 24 hrs old now they have ate some but there still are some left I’ll post another picture

Registered Member

They have ate quite a few but these are the ones left

Registered Member

I notice the pin holes on the face usually this
    is from a carbon block filter, might want to switch to a GAC filter.

Cliff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12