ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Bloated discus

Registered Member

Default Bloated discus

I recently got this pair of discus and went to feed them day before yesterday and one started looking bloated. It looks pretty bad but the fish doesn’t seem to be super bothered I’ve tried Epsom salt with not much to show for it. What would your next step be? I have a decent selection of meds I’ve been trying to get a stock of. Would like to get it treated before it gets any worse

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Bloated discus

If epsom salts didn't work it may be wise to take another approach. This could be an internal infection, both appearances at this stage look similar.

I would try epsom salts one more time and there are no changes by tomorrow I would treat with Kanamycin in a hospital tank for 10 days along with 2-3TBS regular salt per 10g. Daily 50% water changes with aged, temp match water. If you can't find Kanamycin, I've seem a lot of people using Bactocide 2. The best price can be found at Champion Discus. His website still seems to be under maintenance but you can message Saelee Kao on FB https://www.facebook.com/championdiscus/

Registered Member

I have kanaplex and bactocide 2 is one better than the other?

Real Name
    Brian

I have experience with pure Kanamycin. Kanaplex is a weaker form so I would increase the dose. Bactocide 2 has great reviews but I haven't used it.