ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment advise

Registered Member

Default Treatment advise

One of our females has a ….. well I’m not even sure what it is on her side, I’m guessing the male has pecked at her side a few to many times but I’m not sure. She seemed alright threw there spawn with it there but then they ate all there eggs last night and she has been pretty slow moving since. What are my treatment options? My qt tank has another discus in it that I have been treating for a bloat issue so I’m limited for a day or two. Is medication my best bet? Maybe a dip of some kind? What should I be doing to help? Have kept the water clean frequent water changes stable ph and same conductivity threw it all.. but have only had the pair for a short time and my wife says the spot was there when we got them I don’t remember it so not sure. But it’s on her side and down by her belly a little

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Treatment advise

I’d start with salt and some water changes. 2 tbs per 10g. Should heal up in about a week.

Real Name
    Jacob

Have any pictures to go back to and see if the spot is there or if it's changed/worse?

Real Name
    Brian

I'd like to see a better pic of the affected area but a little salt and clean water may clear this up. You may have to separate them if it gets too violent.

Registered Member

I separated them yesterday morning. Size wise it looks like it’s staying about the same but it looks a little worse..from the right angle even looks like it has a white fuzzy over it. I put her in the qt tank with some salt and bactocide 1. I hope the meds wasn’t a bad idea but I really don’t want to loose her. In watching them before separating it looked like the male would target that point when he would nudge/peck at her.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Have any pictures to go back to and see if the spot is there or if it's changed/worse?
    Good thinking I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. I don’t see it from the pic I took the day I got

Real Name
    Brian

How far apart are these photo's?

Registered Member

12 days

Real Name
    Brian

That's good. This mark is similar but not identical to aeromonas, which is nearly 100% fatal and moves very fast. Aeromonas would have been lethal in about 3-4 days.

I've never used Bactocide products but its becoming pretty popular. I don't think it's a bad thing that you used it and I would continue the recommended dose per directions, although I would have used nitrofurazone. Using the salt will help as well but I would increase it to 3-4TBS per 10g. Keep up daily water changes and replace the % of salt removed during water change... The main thing I don't like about Bactocide is the ingredients are a secret and you can only judge the results on word of mouth. I hope it works, and if it does please let us know.

Also, give daily updates on this fish. Nitro is getting hard to find but if you change meds you can find it at Everything Aquatic https://everythingaquatic.net/ I've also heard that Enrofloxacin is a good med for external bacterial issues.

Registered Member

I will keep updating. Thank you!!

Real Name
    Mervin

I think the only reason it's become popular is because a lot of countries don't sell antibiotics over the counter any longer and need to come from veterinarians for pets. Bactocide is natural and derived from plant extracts. Probably not as good as the antibiotics.

Registered Member

She is no worse this morning than yesterday..I upped the salt to 4 tbs per 10 gal felt like I was putting a ton of salt in but she seems to be fine this morning, to early to tell if any better though. So I got another question, before I removed her from the breeding tanks I dosed them with salt trying to help her. My other pair wasnt showing signs of breeding. Now looks like the cobalts want to make something happen for the first time. My tds has been coming down with every water change since the salt dosing but im still at 170 tds. Is that gonna be a issue for them?

Registered Member

Starting to look a little better

Real Name
    Brian

Nice! Keep up the good work!

Real Name
    Jacob

That does look better, good deal!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast