AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cant figure out what is bothering my discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

Default Cant figure out what is bothering my discus

So for about 4-5 weeks ago i received some discus. This was a proven pair, and they immediately started fighting with the other discus in the tank before/after laying eggs. Because of this i got rid of the other discuses about 3 weeks ago now. Since the removal the discuses has been more stressed, having sudden often rapid movements. They also have not laid any more eggs (the first batches got eaten), with the exception when i was away for about 5 days. The discus have some white spots on them, and i have treated with esha exit, but this has not yielded any results. The white spots are the exact same places, and it dosent seem to come new ones. The one discus also have some damage/something on one of the fins, but i cant figure if it is anything that should be treated. I have also tried treating with wormer plus and esha hexamite (used the hexamite probably a week before wormer plus without any results. Also the fish seem to be more jumpy from my movements, and more calm when the tank is covered. There havent been any visual changes since i got them, except for maybe they are becoming thinner, but im not sure. The discus eats a lot (normal tetra discus food). Can it be that the discus is more stressed with just the 2 of them in the tank, or is the explanation that they suffer from some sort of bacterial infection or parasites. They are kept in 1 260 liters tank, with an eheim experience 350 (1050 liters an hour). I am doing waterchanges every second day, and the water-quality has been good when measured. Ph is kept at 7. I will attach some pictures so hopefully someone notices what i dont.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Cant figure out what is bothering my discus

This doesn't look too serious. I'd like to know your water maintenance routine, but regular water changes will usually clear this up. You can add 2-3TBS salt per 10g and it can help as well...

What do you feed them?

Did you add them to an existing tank or get all at once?

They were purchased as a proven pair? Can I ask where you got them?

I would back off any additional meds for the time being.

If you're still concerned or it doesn't clear up soon I would fill put this questionnaire and paste it back here so we can have more details to go on http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    This doesn't look too serious. I'd like to know your water maintenance routine, but regular water changes will usually clear this up. You can add 2-3TBS salt per 10g and it can help as well...

What do you feed them?

Did you add them to an existing tank or get all at once?

They were purchased as a proven pair? Can I ask where you got them?

I would back off any additional meds for the time being.

If you're still concerned or it doesn't clear up soon I would fill put this questionnaire and paste it back here so we can have more details to go on http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete
    I usually do a 70-80% waterchange every second day, also add prime after every waterchange. They are fed with tetra granules. They were added to an existing tank, and the filters are supposed to be ok. They were bought through a website called finn in Norway (not a discus dealer).

Real Name
    Brian

Your water change schedule is great. Did this develop after they arrived? None of your other fish have these symptoms?

These spots are very common in discus and are usually water related. But, since they came from a seller who doesn't specialize in discus, they could have picked something up in their facility before you got them. It could be bacterial or possibly an external protozoa. If they aren't spreading then I doubt parasites.

You can stay with clean water and salt for about a week, and if they don't go away you could try a salt dip http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Do-a-Salt-Dip

Or you could try a product like Rid Ich Plus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Your water change schedule is great. Did this develop after they arrived? None of your other fish have these symptoms?

These spots are very common in discus and are usually water related. But, since they came from a seller who doesn't specialize in discus, they could have picked something up in their facility before you got them. It could be bacterial or possibly an external protozoa. If they aren't spreading then I doubt parasites.

You can stay with clean water and salt for about a week, and if they don't go away you could try a salt dip http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Do-a-Salt-Dip

Or you could try a product like Rid Ich Plus.
    They actually started acting "weird" after i got rid of the other discuses. Havent seen any new white spots since they arrived. Will try and stay with salt and clean water for a week and hope that fixes the issue.

Real Name
    Frank

I am assuming your water temps are good?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

Yes this started developing after i got rid of the other discuses. Will try the salt treatment and hope it fixes the problem

Yeah temperature should be fine, around 28-29 degres celsius

Real Name
    Brian

If you go with the mild salt treatment, make sure you replace the % of salt removed during water changes...

Do you age your water or fill from tap?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

I dont have the possibility to age my water at the moment. The water in Norway is supposed to be safe, and is used as a source of drinking water for humans. Chemicals like chlorine for example is not added to the water. I do as mentioned earlier add Prime after WC.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok are you planning on breeding? When you say got rid of the other discus does that mean you don’t have them anymore or just in another tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

Yes, was hoping to give it a shot. The other discuses were sold to someone else.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tore

So i have been giving the discuses salt dips the last 4 days without any effect. The blue one last sometimes as long as 30 minutes, but the red/white one falls over after a minute or so (seems like it has problems balancing in the bucket, 2 gallons of water). A couple of hour after a salt dip and waterchange i found some alarming marks on the blue discus, is this burn damage from the heater, scratch damage or something else ? IMG_1968-kopi.jpg