AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New Member

Hi All, PH problem we are working on and any advice would be great... so we are going on week 4 and our chlorine block filters are measuring .006ppm chlorine so we will change them tomorrow and make it a weekly scheduled test with our ULR Chlorine tester. I was running the auto water change the last few days at 240 gallons of new water per day, I forgot to dial it back. We received our new electronic PH tester and calibrated it 2 days ago. The water going into the tank is PH of 7.55 the water in the tank was coming up with a PH of nearly 8.4. I turned off the air stones because my local fish store guy said that with 2 air stones I could be blowing the CO2 out of the water which would cause PH to rise. We kept researching other possible reasons for the high ph and looked at our media. We have Britewell Aquatics XPORT Bio Blocks from Amazon and their listing back then did not say these were for Marine use. Welp, they are for Marine use and will raise ph for sure, according to their plant manager who answered after hours and was totally informative. He is sending me the freshwater version which will not change PH and some other sample things which I will report back on once I figure out what he sends. I removed the blocks. After the filter change tomorrow we will do a slow water change as not to drop Ph too quickly and keep monitoring.
    (Here is a video description. I keep trying to imbed these videos in the forum but have not learned how to correctly, so my apologies. I was told to remove the "S")

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: New Member

The offgasing is going to happen with or without airstones. The airstones will accelerate it, though. This is why I age my water, it swings from 7 to 8.3. Using it aged hasn't been an issue. I even age/pre-heat for my other tanks as well. I have the facilities to make it easy, so might as well.
    Not sure that helps at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12