ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Trouble with fungus & eggs

Real Name
    Austin

Default Trouble with fungus & eggs

I've been struggling with getting my eggs to hatch with two of my pairs. I would see the black eyes on 80% of the eggs at 36 hours but fungus would quickly take over 10 hours later and none of them would hatch including the ones that had eyes. I've tried maroxy but still had issues with fungus. Tried uv sterilizer but no luck. Tried doing 50% water changes daily to keep the water quality in check but no success. I tried ich x and had success with it which is a blend of malachite green and formalin but I heard it destroys beneficial bacteria and restarted my cycle. I know Meth blue is widely used but i hate the staining and blue color that it produces plus it will destroy any good bacteria I have. What's your method? Any thoughts? My water parameters are.

TDS - 90-100
    GH - 3-4
    KH - 1
    TEMP - 83F
    pH - 6.5

Registered Member

Default Re: Trouble with fungus & eggs

Try to bring the temperature down to 81 or 82 this should slow down the fungus. Your water in the Bay Area is great for Discus breeding. Overall the eggs are weak and can't break thru the shell on this spawn it might be from line or inbreeding, I notice this on some of the LSS.
    Better luck on the next spawn.

Cliff

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Trouble with fungus & eggs

Methylene Blue, just squirt a little directly on eggs, or 37% formalin @ 1 drop per gallon can also help.