ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: White stringy poop

Registered Member

Default White stringy poop

Hello all,

Hope you’re doing great!

So my struggles with white poop continues, after treating with metronidazole (500mg/10gallons) for 10 days with just ONE dose a day (I was fooled by my local LFS as they advised just one dose/24hours) my discus fish still gets white stringy poop. She also lost some appetite, she is eating but very little also she lost some body mass.

I want to treat with Metro again, but now do this in 30 gallon hospital tank and make it right with dosage every 8 hours.

I’m just curious when I out the discus bank in main tank will the problem just come back again because Hexamita is in water? Should Intreat the whole main tank?

I’m asking because it gets very expensive to treat whole 110 gallons 3 times a day as in Lithuania and I think whole Europe Metro is forbiden in animal use so I only can buy Metro with prescribtion in pharmacy which they sell only 250mg tablets in a pack of 20.
    Also I can’t raise the temp too much as it is planted tank.

Thanks in advance! Every insight will be highly appreciated!
    Last edited by Raimisx9; 10-23-2022 at 05:22 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: White stringy poop

Pure metro used on discus can be dosed at 500mg per 10g per day for 10 days. It's most effective when you raise the temp to 93f - 34c. Heat is very important, so your best solution would be the 30g hospital tank.

If this doesn't cure it then it maybe time to look at another cause. A microscopic exam of the feces or stringy poop could determine the exact cause.

Registered Member

Default Re: White stringy poop

Thank You Brian,

When I was treating with metro I didn’t raise the temp, left it at 28, so maybe this is the culprot of why it didn’t help much.

Just one question, if I put them in hospital tank, treat them successfuly and put them back in planted the tank will they not get sick again from the main tank? I also have plecos in my planted tank but they seem unafected.