AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Male won't perform 'the deed'

Default Re: Male won't perform 'the deed'

I had a small blue diamond female a few years back she killed two large males by continuously ramming them on their sides she was a fantastic parent and I have always found blue diamonds to be the most aggressive of strains I had , also IMO once a female is moved 9/10 she will spawn within the first week but the males take longer too settle and rarely fertilize the eggs HTH

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by TimB View Post
    One breeder once told me that you can put any male and female together and when you put them in RO water, they will spawn regardless and fertilize. Not sure if this is an old wives tale or actually works?
    That's not necessarily true, although it can be for some discus. I have a pair and each of them will spawn with anything that'll pay attention to them even though they don't "appear" overly bonded. I've had other pairs that seem to develop such a tight bond that they won't pair up with anything else. I've found the better the overall parents, the closer the bond. I don't know if it's just Stendkers or not, but a friend once ordered around 50 adults. Maybe something about shipping being perceived as a near death experience, but was an immediate spawning frenzy in all the tanks, lol...

But the aggression can be something to be concerned about. Some can be so possessive of the fry that they endanger each other. I had male Eruption that killed every female he paired up with, as well as a female SS that killed the male.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I'm going way out in left field here but just maybe the female didn't release any sex pheromones, since she didn't actually lay eggs.
    Not too off left field, the use of prolactin use on the female and male will make them produce slime.

Cliff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12