ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sickly Discus

Registered Member

Default Sickly Discus

I have had 8 discus for 2 and a half years, grew them from 2" fish. 7 of my discus have been doing excellent these past years. They are huge and are stunning.

1 poor little guy, one of the German Wonder's has been not eating too well these last 2 months. He is wasting away. Poor little guy. The other German wonder is twice his size and looks fantastic. I haven't changed food, haven't introduced anything new to the tank in over a year. All the other fish seem fine.

Recently I treated the entire tank with API General Care. Followed the instructions. No change in the fish. I increased the temp from 86 to 90. No change in this fish although the others are ravenous!

This little guy still has the instinct to chase the food around. When he does suck a piece in it'll chew on it and then spit it out. Nearly all the time.

I haven't changed any food supply. They have always eaten frozen beef heart and now and then frozen blood worm.

I really want to save this little guy. Do you have any ideas I can try?

discus.jpg

discus2.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Sickly Discus

Have you ever wormed them or examined their feces?

General Cure is pretty weak stuff and the instructions aren't all that helpful for discus.

I suggest filling out the disease questionnaire and paste it back here. It can provide valuable details...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    1 fish is thin, dark, wobbly, not eating hardly at all. Noticed 2 months ago. No changes to the tank.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Very thin. Not eating. Dark. Hides sometimes.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    I treated the entire tank with API General Care. Followed the instructions.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    80 gallons, 8 discus, 7 of them are 5", the fish in question is maybe 3". A few algae eaters, clown louche and a pleco. All been in there over 2 years together.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30 gallons every 2 weeks.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    2 and a half years. Using 1" of white play sand.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    1-2 days. I don't track the Ph swing.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    None.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____0.5ppm

- nitrite reading ____0

- nitrate reading ____0-5ppm

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____ city tap water. Stendker fish, supposed to be ok in tap. Have been for 2.5 years in my tank.

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    None.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Frozen beefheart 2-4 times a day. Frozen bloodworm now and then. Algae wafers 1-2 times a week.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Pictures are attached to my original post.
    Last edited by shaun_discus; 10-27-2022 at 12:27 PM.

Real Name
    Frank

One place you can start (others will chime in) is that your water changes are too infrequent. You should be doing a minimum of 3x per week. Feeding beef heart without water changes can build bacteria in the tank. Pictures would help if you can post them.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    One place you can start (others will chime in) is that your water changes are too infrequent. You should be doing a minimum of 3x per week. Feeding beef heart without water changes can build bacteria in the tank. Pictures would help if you can post them.
    Great advice!!! Definitely increase the water changes. Why? Have a look here - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

Registered Member

Thank you for your responses.

Pictures of the fish are in my first post. I hope you can see them.

I'm not going to be changing water any more often. I have a very robust filtration system. Sump, mechanical filtration (socks that I change every 1-2 days), biological media, plants, carbon. Water parameters never get out of control. All the other fish are and have been eating like crazy with no ill affects for years.

Quote Originally Posted by shaun_discus View Post

I'm not going to be changing water any more often. I have a very robust filtration system. Sump, mechanical filtration (socks that I change every 1-2 days), biological media, plants, carbon. Water parameters never get out of control. All the other fish are and have been eating like crazy with no ill affects for years.
    Discus are not like other fish. They are highly susceptible to bacterial infections and require a high amount of minerals and trace elements in the water. In order to keep bacteria to a minimum you need to be doing large water changes 50% or more (75+ is best) twice a week. You statement that you are not going to do this has essentially let everyone know that you dont want help, you only want to hear what you have already decided on. It looks like they may be suffering from bacterial cross contamination which needs a bare, sterile tank for treatment. The treatment is using rid ich plus (or ich x) both contain formalin. And 5tbs aquarium salt per 10G. I would recommend doing this and then give them a break and follow with a good deworming as they look skinny.

Tammy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Shaun, you really need to up your water changes as a starting point. Some of the discus look ok but a couple look bad. How long have the discus been in this tank?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Shaun, you really need to up your water changes as a starting point. Some of the discus look ok but a couple look bad. How long have the discus been in this tank?
    Pat
    They have been in this tank since May 2020. I grew them from 1.5" fish. How do you mean they look bad? All 7 others are thick, seem to have fat bellies/bodies and eat very well. No stress banding on those fish.

If you refuse to do the most important thing which is to change much more water much more often, I don't think we can be of much help. I'd have suggested a metro treatment with 500 mg of pure metro per 10 gallons, temp at at least 90, and large daily water change for 12 days.

Tammy has been around a long time, too. She's high on Rid Ick Plus. Treating with it is a lot easier than treating with metro, so I'd try that first. Of course, if you refuse to up your WC regain by a whole lot our advice is moot.
    Mama Bear

They have been in this tank since May 2020. I grew them from 1.5" fish. How do you mean they look bad? All 7 others are thick, seem to have fat bellies/bodies and eat very well. No stress banding on those fish.
    These are Stendkers, they are super thick fish when compared with Asians. They are not as thick as they normally would be. I see 1 from those photos that looks kindof thick. They blues are super dark indicating they are unhappy with something. The one swimming is doing so with fins down indicating it isnt happy. The yellow looks to be swimming somewhat head up. Stendkers will normally eat, even when they arent feeling well. The best indicator for me though is size. These fish are reletively small for Stendkers which is a sign of growing up in an unkempt environment which is why many people have opted to grow fry to 5in in a bare tank. Adding minerals to the water is not going to be enough in a planted tank where everything in the environment is fighting for them. Also if you are using CO2 and not watching.your PH then how do you even know if you need the CO2 or if your adding too much CO2?
    You have to be able to adjust your normal schedule to keep discus happy and thriving. Can they live in crap water? Yes. But will they be healthy? No

Tammy
    Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Agree you need to up your WC routine. I'd suggest a few smaller water changes during the week to remove fish waste/uneaten food/debris. Then can do a weekly larger water change 50-60% if you don't want to do every other day larger water changes. Also, you probably have something internal going on like hexamita... are they pooping white stringy poop? If so, metro 500 mg per 10 gallons for 10-12 days with daily water changes. Also be sure to remove carbon/purigen etc... during treatment.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Shaun, this is your first picture posted. Look at the pinched forehand on the right-most fish. That fish is staving to death.

discus.jpg

Look at the forehead on this fish, it's all nice and smooth.

Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I have a robust filtration system- wet/dry, mechanical etc... that turns the water over about 10x/hour. I still clean my tank thoroughly once weekly and try to remove poop/debris at least a few times in between.... Robust filtration is great but remove the physical **** to be blunt.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Shaun, this is your first picture posted. Look at the pinched forehand on the right-most fish. That fish is staving to death.

discus.jpg
    That is the fish I'm here discussing. None others look anything like that. Fat heads and bulging bellies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast