ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sickly Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Sickly Discus

Yes metro will help. Consider a python for water changes will save you time. If using a brute to age water you can use a pump to add the water. You could also reduce your bioload by keeping maybe 6 discus. Apart from that, discus require clean water- if you can’t keep it up, maybe consider keeping a different type of fish. A beta would look nice in a 90 gallon, but it maybe a little small for it

Registered Member

Thank you all for your advice.

Metro on the way from JEHM Co.

So, 500 mg of pure metro per 10 gallons, temp at at least 90, and large daily water change for 12 days. Will do.

Just for clarification, do water change, then add Metro. Repeat the next day for 12 days. Sound correct?

Registered Member

Just finished my 12th water change/Metro dose. I changed 30 gallons of my 80 each day and dosed 4 grams of metro each change when the new water went in. I removed the carbon at the start of this 12 day process.

The fish in question has gotten worse. Very dark, hiding, fins falling apart. Poor guy.

All the other fish are flourishing. Loving the increased temp and always starving.

Maybe I was just too late to help this fish?

I did improve my water changing technique to make it quicker which will equate to doing it more.

Welcome back Shaun. I wish you'd posted about this fish before. It sounds to me like you're using the wrong medication. Please post a pic. I hope that together we can get the fish back to health.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Real Name
    Frank

Unfortunately, I would dispose of the fish for the sake of the others.

Shuan, I would do what Frank would do. I'm sorry but that poor fish has so much wrong going on with it that it won't last long despite what you do. God, I hate telling somebody that.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Well that was hard but it is done. Poor little guy.

I feel bad for him, like I failed him. Not spotting/reacting sooner and not increasing my water change routine. I will work on that and not let life get too busy and neglect my fish.

I'm sorry Shaun, but it's easier that watching die a slow death. You're fish taught you the main lesson. Discus are easy to keep, but only if you follow their rules.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by shaun_discus View Post
    Well that was hard but it is done. Poor little guy.

I feel bad for him, like I failed him. Not spotting/reacting sooner and not increasing my water change routine. I will work on that and not let life get too busy and neglect my fish.
    Sorry for your loss. Shaun, every one of us have lost fish. And, no manner how much you read and prepare, there is a learning curve. I have learned and have watched others learn. However, if you follow what others are telling you here on this forum it will improve your experience greatly. Nothing lives forever no manner how hard we try. I tell people sometimes (true for animals also), the best one can do in this life is to die healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Shaun, every one of us have lost fish. And, no manner how much you read and prepare, there is a learning curve. I have learned and have watched others learn. However, if you follow what others are telling you here on this forum it will improve your experience greatly. Nothing lives forever no manner how hard we try. I tell people sometimes (true for animals also), the best one can do in this life is to die healthy.
    I have to disagree, Frank. My goal in life is to die content with what I have accomplished, knowing that I have done my very best.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I have to disagree, Frank. My goal in life is to die content with what I have accomplished, knowing that I have done my very best.
    Great goal but I was talking medically. Sorry for the confusion.
    There are MUCH greater goals than what I said as far as life itself.

Registered Member

Thank you all for your help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123