AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: One of my fish stopped eating...

Default Re: One of my fish stopped eating...

BD's are known for $hitting big, but if you're worried that he can't manage the size, use some Epsom salts.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

I knew they were known for big ones, but they haven't been quite so big before. He dropped four about that size today. He hasn't been eating until fairly recently, so maybe things are still settling in.

Real Name
    Brian

It's scary, but not abnormal. BD's are famous for their humongous turds!!

Real Name
    Jacob

20230114_192829.jpg

I was just studying this blue diamond last night because he has absolutely chunked up again and is growing after the worming a few months back. He wants to eat like a little 2" fish again apparently. I have to fight him when I'm doing water changes because he knows there's always some food under the driftwood. I don't want him to eat the... questionable... contents from under the log. But I do admire his tenacity. I think he eats a whole beef heart cube all by himself after the water change every night. I always toss in two, but sometimes do three depending on how hard they're begging and if I had a chance to feed them a second time before I left for work.

Those two in the picture with him are probably the two biggest fish in the tank and he's a bit behind them. I suspect he's going to catch up the same way the flachen did after metro many months ago.

Impressive. You are an excellent fish nurse. You've learned a lot here.
    Mama Bear

Jacob, like has been said earlier Bds definitely win the prize on the turd size. One thing you can do to help though is next batch of beefheart if you make it yourself is to really trim the fat and connective tissue and bump up the fiber amount.. fiber sources can include cooked spinach, collard greens, peas and sweet potatoes... its also acceptible to add a bit of metamucile .... but the veggies add a ton of nutrition.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jacob, like has been said earlier Bds definitely win the prize on the turd size. One thing you can do to help though is next batch of beefheart if you make it yourself is to really trim the fat and connective tissue and bump up the fiber amount.. fiber sources can include cooked spinach, collard greens, peas and sweet potatoes... its also acceptible to add a bit of metamucile .... but the veggies add a ton of nutrition.
    I'm happy with the fat trimming job I did (and I do make it myself). The hearts I bought ended up being partially cleaned up so it wasn't even that tough of a job compared to deer and pork hearts I've cleaned up in the past. And I'm feeding it totally straight double ground up and then frozen in a sheet. I have been adding a bit of garlic guard when I cut it into cubes. I could see using some spinach or something on my next batch. Or maybe cutting it in some when I cube up the existing stuff as I have quite a bit still to work through. I cut up 60 pounds of butterflied hearts and because they were so cleaned up that yielded almost right at 50%. I can't say that the plain beefheart hasn't worked pretty well. Willie didn't steer me wrong there!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456