ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration options for 85 gallon tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kendal

Default Filtration options for 85 gallon tank

I just got a tank that I am planning on using as my 1st discus tank. I am doing a lot of reading and research, but have not decided on what type of filtration to go with.

I have kept all kinds of fish for many years, mostly African and South American cichlids. I prefer canister filters because of all the reasons we know, but mostly because they are easy to maintain and quiet. Most of our tanks are in our living room where we watch TV and movies, so that is a facor with this tank also.

The tank is 36" W.18"D X24" H. The stand it came with can hold something that is 17" tall minus any plumbing. I want great filtration and am considering a Fluval FX4 because it could fit in the stand. I am not advers to building a sump system, but not real hip on drilling my tank. I have considered other canister filters and running 2 to get the flow at a decent level. I want to make the right decision on filtration before I move forward. I have selected my aquascape (Mophie wood, Seiryu stone and pool filter sand) which I purchased already.

The tank will not be stocked heavily, but it will be lightly planted and scaped with the wood and stone mentioned.

I want to do this right from the the start for the sake fo the fish I buy. Help me make the proper decisions!!!

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Filtration options for 85 gallon tank

Hi and welcome. 36"x18"x24"=15552 square inches/231=67.3 gallon tank. You did your research, so we already know you're planning on fish bigger than 4.5 inches since you'll be using plants and substrate. The FX4 is enough filtration for that size tank and quiet enough to enjoy your movies. Not really that important on what kind of filtration you prefer. I have both canisters and I love my old AC110 filters. Large frequent WC's is more important than the brand of filter.