AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So far, so good

Default Re: So far, so good

As long as you keep up with WC you will be fine. I've raised Discus in pure RO as well, but I made sure to do a WC every day. I never even considered going longer. But if weekly worked for Willie it should work for you.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremi16 View Post
    Not sure they’re so much more expensive. I’ve seen small discus 2” give or take going for $40-$50 and I’ve seen $250 for adults 5+”. What kind of prices you see in the US?
    Discus prices has dropped like a rock since the mid 90's. I received calls from my friends in Japan they were having a difficult time breeding their Discus artificially. Well if I tell them what the problems they would owe me some babies. Well the breeder was able to
    breed these Discus, and I got some fry from him. Next call from the breeder was he got an offer of $8000, for the pair, I said sell it as quick as possible because the price is dropping fast. 10 months later I got 2 pairs and gave the. breeder back a few batches. The breeder sold these fry for only $3 each when the who!esale was $103 each. Why, the breeder wanted to kill the market.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    My recommendation is to do nothing as the water parameters are ideal for discus. Your pH would drop, not rise, with fish waste, which the discus does not mind at all. When you see it drop, just make a water change. How much water to change depends very much on your set up. If you change more, then you can do so at longer frequency.

Crush coral will indeed increase hardness and reduce pH fluctuation, but that does not necessarily apply to your situation. African cichlid keepers routinely do this. Some even use crush coral in place of gravel. However, crush coral dissolves very slowly and hardness increases equally slowly. Of course, African keepers never change their water and are perfectly fine with their situation. That would not be true for discus.

Newcomers to this hobby always obssess over water conditions. In fact, hygiene - clean water - is far more important than the actual pH or KH. I've raised discus in 100% R/O (no additives) with weekly water changes and have had them do absolutely fine. Of course, I wouldn't recommend going much longer than a week...
    That sounds great! I had already planned to do water changes at least every day or every other day in the grow-out tank, and twice a week when they get moved over to the big tank @ 4”. And to know I can do it straight from the tap makes it even easier to prep for water changes. Thanks for the great info Willie.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    As long as you keep up with WC you will be fine. I've raised Discus in pure RO as well, but I made sure to do a WC every day. I never even considered going longer. But if weekly worked for Willie it should work for you.
    Thanks Liz. I do plan on lots of water changes. As I told Willie, every day in the grow-out tank and at least twice a week in the 75G.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Discus prices has dropped like a rock since the mid 90's. I received calls from my friends in Japan they were having a difficult time breeding their Discus artificially. Well if I tell them what the problems they would owe me some babies. Well the breeder was able to
    breed these Discus, and I got some fry from him. Next call from the breeder was he got an offer of $8000, for the pair, I said sell it as quick as possible because the price is dropping fast. 10 months later I got 2 pairs and gave the. breeder back a few batches. The breeder sold these fry for only $3 each when the who!esale was $103 each. Why, the breeder wanted to kill the market.
    Dang, 8k? I wouldn’t have even had to call you. I’d ask if they wanted me to fly them directly to them myself.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    You could contact Tony Tan @ IP discus or Chris @ Na Discus on Facebook, check who are their resellers in Japan.
    Is Tony Tan still an active seller? I emailed him, but didn’t get a response and when I checked his FB page, the last post was from 2014

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gremi16 View Post
    Dang, 8k? I wouldn’t have even had to call you. I’d ask if they wanted me to fly them directly to them myself.
    I feel sorry for the buyer he was never able to breed this pair.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    My recommendation is to do nothing as the water parameters are ideal for discus. Your pH would drop, not rise, with fish waste, which the discus does not mind at all. When you see it drop, just make a water change. How much water to change depends very much on your set up. If you change more, then you can do so at longer frequency.

Crush coral will indeed increase hardness and reduce pH fluctuation, but that does not necessarily apply to your situation. African cichlid keepers routinely do this. Some even use crush coral in place of gravel. However, crush coral dissolves very slowly and hardness increases equally slowly. Of course, African keepers never change their water and are perfectly fine with their situation. That would not be true for discus.

Newcomers to this hobby always obssess over water conditions. In fact, hygiene - clean water - is far more important than the actual pH or KH. I've raised discus in 100% R/O (no additives) with weekly water changes and have had them do absolutely fine. Of course, I wouldn't recommend going much longer than a week...
    Willie, as always a great tip 👍.
    I had a water in my tap around 60-70ppm. I had also CO2, so to avoid pH crash I dump small pieces of corals (collected on a beach) into a sump.

On top of it after each water change I use to add seachem equalibrium and Epsom salt.

Both plants and discus loved that !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12