ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus not eating

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Default Discus not eating

Hi guys! My discus survived 72 hrs in my tank, I feel like a pro, lol.
    I know that it is normal for the fish not to eat for few days after introduction to the new tank. My question is at what point should I start to worry? Twice a day I give my discus small amount of pellets. They are not even looking at it, once food sinks to the bottom only two fish eat one or two pellets. Eventually all of the food gets eaten but it takes about 30 minutes. I have frozen blood worms, but would rather have my discus eat pellets as a primary food source. How long should I wait before giving blood worms?
    Thank you.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus not eating

Who did you get your discus from and what were they feeding them. If discus were brought up on beef heart it’s going to take some time to get them to eat other foods. Are these juvenile discus and are the blood worms hakari brand.

Real Name
    Carter

Hey, they are from Golden State Discus, right? I got mine in last night and fed them this morning. They went crazy for freeze dried black worms. They also picked at frozen brine shrimp, but the cube just fell to the bottom and I ended up siphoning it out. I know on the little care guide sheet they sent me it said they feed flakes, beef heart, and brine shrimp to them. So could be difficult to get them on pellets immediately.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Thank you Solaris! I am thinking that my discus are working out hierarchy and food is not top priority for them. Also the two eating fish are the largest. All of them look very colorful so I am not concerned yet. I am trying to get them to eat pellets and at the same time I don’t want to starve them. Weekend is coming so I will have time to watch them and feed them every few hour.

Real Name
    Brian

If you have a chance, try some blackworms. I only feed once per day as a treat/meal because more and they may refuse other foods. I use the cubed with spinach. Al highly recommends the bio-pigment but I haven't tried that yet...

https://aquaticsuppliers.com/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert

Thanks Jeep! I will get blackworms today. Yesterday, I gave my discus one cube of blood worms. Four fish were eating, however it took them about 20 minutes to eat it. Discus who didn't eat is the smallest one, he is also very attached to one corner of the tank and hardly ever swims around. I guess things are getting better.