ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Ryan Singer

Default Re: Lighting

New to the forum, but not to lighting. I used my Reeefbreeder's Photon light above a freshwater tank in the past and it worked great. Just had to turn the intensity down. They had a schedule you could program in for a planted tank. Currently I've got AI Prime Freshwater above my cycling, plant-less 180. They look great and they have a Kessil-like shimmer.

Registered Member

I have SpaceX Cybex … those light are similar to Kessil or AI but less expensive.

Keep in mind that not only plays like that, but in a good lights fish colours are blooming. It’s really better to spend more $ on a good light.

Registered Member

So, I'm looking at getting about 6 discus. mixed colors...reds, blues, maybe yellows/oranges....what spectrums would you focus on in the lights. Are there any colors not necessary or bad for colors of discus?

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I've been through a couple of lights over the 12 years of having my 125-gallon discus tank and was never completely happy until I acquired the Kessil A-160 WE Tuna Sun lights (3). I started out with the Build Me LED, next was the Beamworks Freshwater LED, and now the Kessil's. Just get what you will be happy with and save money in the long run.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I've been through a couple of lights over the 12 years of having my 125-gallon discus tank and was never completely happy until I acquired the Kessil A-160 WE Tuna Sun lights (3). I started out with the Build Me LED, next was the Beamworks Freshwater LED, and now the Kessil's. Just get what you will be happy with and save money in the long run.
    You may be right. I have great lights now that are being used for my marine tank. I think I'm gonna stick with them in the beginning to see how they look. They already have everything I want...controllability, ramp up/down, adjustable spectrum...I'll just have to lower the intensity. I just need to know what lights are important for a planted discus tank, because I can adjust each spectrum to 0 or 100+.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12