ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Am I ok

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe

Default Am I ok

Before I dive into Discus I was wanting to know what you think of my water quality
    GH. 180
    KH. 240
    ph. 8.0
    NO2 0
    No3 0
    I am on a well and have iron in my water. This was taken before the softener.
    Thank You

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Am I ok

Here's my hardness:
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Just checked KH and GH tonight. KH was 16 drops = 286 ppm, GH was 18 drops = 322 ppm.

pH looked like 7.2 to me, have a quart of it getting air stoned, does that need 24 hours or would overnight be plenty for that small amount?
    And the thread about it: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...gh-pH-question

I use municipal water and the pH swings from 7 or 7.2 out of the tap up to 8 or 8.2 when aerated for 24 hours. So I age and pre-heat all my water.
    I'm sure someone else will chime in, but I've raised my discus from Stendker from 2.5" up to 5-5.5" without any issues related to hardness or pH (so far as I know).

Registered Member

If you keep everything constant and do regular WCs the fish will adapt to most any water. Keep it clean and warm!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    Before I dive into Discus I was wanting to know what you think of my water quality
    GH. 180
    KH. 240
    ph. 8.0
    NO2 0
    No3 0
    I am on a well and have iron in my water. This was taken before the softener.
    Thank You
    I would suggest aging your water with aeration and check your ph before and after aeration to see if you have a ph swing.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening