ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aquarium fish medications.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Aquarium fish medications.

Aquarium Fish Medications

While on the phone placing a medication order I asked about the new FDA regulations going into effect next year, and how it may impact the aquarium trade. My medication source is in close contact with FDA and I knew he would be aware of any changes affecting us.
    FDA is attempting to remove all antibiotics off the shelves and make them prescription only due to misuse, abuse and diverting for use with other species. I've been warning people about openly abusing and misusing medications as that only served the FDA and their goal. And in just a few months changes will most likely occur in one way or another.
    This new regulation will require a prescription for all antibiotics used for livestock and companion animals. So far, aquarium fish are not included with this new regulation, but it may also mean that fish medications may become more difficult to source. Time will tell.
    I cannot predict the future, but wanted to let our members know about this change that will take effect next year. When I hear about definite changes I will share it with our members. So far potential changes are being researched and attempting to gain FDA approval. So, nothing is definite at this point in time.

A9F5EF1D-A676-4DD0-B7F3-76B84E500EFF.jpgA9F5EF1D-A676-4DD0-B7F3-76B84E500EFF.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Aquarium fish medications.

That has already happened over 3 years ago here in Canada. Here in Nova Scotia fish shops no longer carry most meds; the only ones I've seen on the selves were made from plants extracts.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

As a doc, I can tell you metronidazole is much more expensive in human prescription form, at least with my plan, compared to Jehmco.

Registered Member

I did know hobbyist that used medication on himself from local fish stores, he said it's much cheaper.

Real Name
    Jacob

If you factor in the $250 it costs to visit a doctor now, it's absolutely cheaper. I know "fishmox" is pretty popular amongst certain prepper type people.

Real Name
    Mervin

When I worked as a med. nurse. Sodium Thiosufate, a very cheap chlorine remover is also used for a human medication. I couldn't believe the price when I saw it come from the pharmacy; the mark up was ridiculously high.

Mervin, what is Sodium Thiosufate used for in humans?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

The patient had a syndrome that is rare and I forget the name but it was used for calciphylaxis.

Registered Member

Cheap cruises to Mexico this time of the year. The cruises sponsors tours that may stop at a local drug store.

Registered Member

Sodium Thiosulfate, I believe, is used as a "fixer" in a photography darkroom. It stops development immediately, and stabilizes the image. It is, or was, very cheap and used also to remove chlorine from city water supplies in aquariums. I never heard about it being a medicine for humans, but could well be.
    Richard

It's still dirt cheep. I use it when I use a dechlorinater which isn't often since I have bubbles galore in my water storage containers.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

I have been using sodium thiosulfate for a dechlorinator for over 25 years. Won't work on chloramine tho. $10 worth lasts about 10 years. That's how cheap it is.