ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is it too much filtration? Just a waste?

Registered Member

Default Is it too much filtration? Just a waste?

Hey everyone. So, as some of you have already read, I'm going to convert my marine tank (pre-drilled) into a discus tank. Because it is a pre-drilled tank, I'm sticking with a sump filtration system, getting a 40 gallon breeder to put in the cabinet. I already know how I'm going to stock the sump...with some very good sheet filter pads (no filter socks) and bio-media (maxpect biospheres or some other brand). That will create some good places for bacteria to populate. I also will have a macroalgae reactor that will be sitting around afterwards. This reactor can be turned into many different types of reactor, depending on what you need. I was thinking of turning that into a biomedia reactor for more places for bacteria to populate. Would that help the tank remain more stable or just be unnecessary with all that I'm going to put into the sump already?

Thanks

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Is it too much filtration? Just a waste?

They key to raising quality discus is large, frequent water changes. Filtration becomes less important under these conditions. I don't think there's any such downside to having a lot of filtration. Just know it doesn't effect the need for water changes.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I agree with Willie, hard to have too much filtration. But most filters don’t reduce Nitrates, or remove growth inhibitors from water, so large frequent water changes are still important for good growth.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    They key to raising quality discus is large, frequent water changes. Filtration becomes less important under these conditions. I don't think there's any such downside to having a lot of filtration. Just know it doesn't effect the need for water changes.
    Sounds good to me Willie. Thanks. I'm not looking to lower my amounts of water change. Regardless of how much filtration I will have, I will still continue to perform as many water changes as I can each week. Believe it or not, I'm one of those "nutcases", lol, that likes to do water changes. It keeps me involved in the tank and the understanding that I'm truly having a good effect on my fish makes me really happy and more proud of my aquatic friends.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hicgup View Post
    I agree with Willie, hard to have too much filtration. But most filters don’t reduce Nitrates, or remove growth inhibitors from water, so large frequent water changes are still important for good growth.
    Thanks for the reply. See my comment to Willie. Have a great day!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Never too much filtration but sometimes too frequent water changes if it causes imbalance to the tank. I have a 30 gallon sump for my 120 gal and I’m happy with it.

Real Name
    Francis

I change 90% daily with aged water and two aquaclear 110 HOB filters for my 120 tanks.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Never too much filtration but sometimes too frequent water changes if it causes imbalance to the tank. I have a 30 gallon sump for my 120 gal and I’m happy with it.
    Too frequent a WC should not imbalance the water. It should make it more balanced. The problem is when one lets the water get old and then WC's with a large volume, then you will get a chemical change to the water and that can stress fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Yes- not everybody ages their water so you can imagine pH swings I’m with large water changes every couple days so yes too many water changes without aging, heating etc can cause an imbalance.

Real Name
    Mervin

I definitely age the water here to do large 80% or more WC. The micro-bubbles are too great to do more than a 25%-30% from my tap. It is hard on the fish.

Real Name
    Willie

I make 100% water changes daily after conditioning. The water quality in my tank never changes. My discus enjoys the same stability as the Minnesota River Watershed, which spans the Minnesota River in Carver to its confluence with the Mississippi at the Twin Cities.

I recognize that not everyone has a set up that allows for this schedule, but large water changes do not promote instability. It's just the opposite.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I make 100% water changes daily after conditioning. The water quality in my tank never changes. My discus enjoys the same stability as the Minnesota River Watershed, which spans the Minnesota River in Carver to its confluence with the Mississippi at the Twin Cities.

I recognize that not everyone has a set up that allows for this schedule, but large water changes do not promote instability. It's just the opposite.
    100 % with this post^^^ with exception that my water was from central Illinois watershed. I also did 90-95 percent daily water changes.