AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head Standing

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Head Standing

Liz I am happy to see that your female has recovered a bit. Fingers crossed that she stay that way. Your fishroom looks great. Everything looks nice and neat and your couch looks very comfortable.

Real Name
    Brian

Salt at this small amount is just to help deal with stress and respiration. It can also assist with osmotic regulation and internal swelling.

Liz, 2 TBS is a very small amount. If you're confident she's ok then I would just remove it during regular water changes but it'll hurt nothing to leave it in for a few days is you choose.

I'm glad she's looking better!!

Real Name
    Brian

And, you fish room looks great!

She's still looking normal after I added the water to 3/4 full. But I don't think she ate breakfast and she's not as active as she was. I went ahead and added the salt.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Fingers crossed Liz, hope she recovers well and soon! Is she the mother of my babies? Your fishroom is wonderful!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

She's doing fine Barb. After I added more salt I tossed in some pellets. Both she and her husband are more active and ate their brunch. For breakfast I put in a cube of tubifex because that's the fish's favorite food, but she ignored it. It seems that the salt made the difference.

She isn't the mother of your kids. She's spawned many times but I have never tried to raise her kids since I wanted only kids from my own strain. Yours are all from a blue based pair of my own breeding
    Mama Bear

This fish is going to age me a year for every day this goes on. I haven't done much other that watch her. Around 11 am she started tilted down again. I lowered the water level again, and after a bit of time she got to swimming normally again. I guess I'll leave things as they are for a couple days longer, adding salt to replace what I've removed during WC. I'm really getting tired of obsessing over this fish. It wears me out.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Liz, nice to here your beautiful discus might be coming back to it's senses. You know your fish the best and it does appear to be a small concussion from it's behavior and not being able to physically and mentally eat or stay up right. Hopefully after a few days rest the discus will be swimming and eating again.

I was devastated when I went down to the fish room this morning only to find her standing on her head again. I had raised the water level to half. She seemed to be doing just fine before I wen to bed. So...I lowered the water level again. This time to just above her husband's dorsal. I has taken a few hours but now she is active again and swimming normally with her husband. I don't know how long I should wait until I give up on her.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

It's possible she may have some swelling or bruised whatever the equivalent is of an inner ear making her lose balance. It just may take some more time. I would also keep temp around 82 if this is the case.

Thanks, I'll lower the temp and hope for the best.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

I would think the less excitement around the tank and rest would help a bit too; if it is damage/trauma to the nervous system.

It's just me here, Mervin so there isn't any excitement at all. I changed their water yesterday, to much that they were swimming on their sides, but not quite flopping on the bottom. When I filled the tank I just added enough water to take the tank from 1/4 to 1/3. That makes is to her husband, who is larger, from having to rub his ventral side against the tank bottom. He was obviously more comfortable. I fed a cube of Tubifex, and lady fish took a huge hunk out of it.

I was afraid of what I might find this morning. But when I went down there lady fish was swimming normally. It was a great relief. I've spent the past 2 days in the fish room obsessing over that fish. Today I'll be able to get back to normal life. It's a good thing...The sink is full of dirty dishes and the state of the whole house is a disgrace. (It doesn't help that I have 5 dogs constantly in and out, tracking in dirt, not to mention my only remaining chicken who spends the night and a good part of the day in the house. She had come to think of the dogs and me as her flock.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Glad to hear she's doing better! Must be a great relief.

You can't imagine...
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast