AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Standing

Default Head Standing

This is the female of a pair. I got her from Al as a tiny little thing and she had grown into a huge, round, beautiful adult.

She was fine at 7 this morning when I went down to feed. A while later I was dusting the walls of the fishroom with a Swiffer duster. All the fish freaked a little to see this weird thing over head. I wonder if she might have whacked her self against the side of the tank.

I ordered some Metro from Jhemco the other day in order to clean up my pairs for breeding, but it hasn't arrived yet. In the mean time I cranked the heat up on the Discus tanks as high as the heater would go which was only 88. I change 50% of water every day at 3 with aged heated water which is 83.

When I saw her head standing I lowered the water level in her 40 gallon cube to half in hopes that the lesser osmotic pressure might help. Then I ran to the Dollar Store and got some Epsom salts. I dosed the tank with 2 1/2 tablespoons. But her belly is not swollen so I don't think that constipation is the problem.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do to help her? I sure don't want to loose her. I was wanting fry from her in order to outcross from my line.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Head Standing

Hi Liz, can you post a photo or text it to me? I'd like to see a close up of the belly and profile.

Edit: This sounds like she may have impacted the wall because traditional head standers take time to develop the condition, but a photo will help to be sure.
    Last edited by jeep; 11-24-2022 at 12:24 PM.

Here she is.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Dusting the walls was the last thing I had to do getting the fish room clean. May be I should have cleaned the house and left the fish room filthy. I've never killed anything cleaning house. I hope she recovers. Nothing I can do but keep my fingers crossed.

I'm headed to my neighbor's house for Thanksgiving dinner. That will get my mind of what I've done to an important and valuable fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

If it happened this fast then I think you're right about hitting the wall. Hopefully this will be temporary. The next 24 hours should tell. I would add about 2 TBS salt per 10g as well.

Many times you'll see some bruising or nerve damage like this one. It cleared up in about 3 days but never went head standing

challenge 79.jpg

Done.

Other than this disaster the result of all my hard work was very good and well worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Very nice and impressive setup!!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Josh

Hope to have a fish room like yours someday Liz! Looks great!

Thanks, Josh. I hope so, too.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Nice fishroom Liz.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Hey Guys!!! I don't want to jinx myself but I think that maybe she's gonna be alright. I didn't do much but look at her tank then look away because I couldn't stand it then repeat since I got back from Thanksgiving dinner. But shortly after WC time (they only got enough WC for me to vacuum out poop and uneaten food) I looked at the tank again and she was much more active and as often as not swimming with her husband normally. The lights went out in the fish room just now. I'll be up early to check on her. I sure hope that she will be swimming normally after a good night's rest. Now, that would really be something to be thankful for.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Glad to hear she's improving! She's quite beautiful, Liz!
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 11-24-2022 at 09:35 PM.

She's all better. I almost can't believe it. She sure gave herself a lick, but she didn't take herself out of contention. Brian, Thanks for your help. I'm going to fill the tank to 3/4 this morning. Do you suggest that I keep up with the salt for a bit longer?

Francis, thanks for the compliment on the fish room. I'll enjoy it more today since my female from Al is well.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Liz, so glad to hear your girl is improving. What a relief. Great looking fishroom BTW
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If it happened this fast then I think you're right about hitting the wall. Hopefully this will be temporary. The next 24 hours should tell. I would add about 2 TBS salt per 10g as well.

Many times you'll see some bruising or nerve damage like this one. It cleared up in about 3 days but never went head standing

challenge 79.jpg
    Can I ask what salt does for a discus that may have struck itself on the tank? How does it work?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast