ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Head Standing

Default Re: Head Standing

I'm afraid that this has become a permanent condition. It has happened and I fixed it several times but this time even with a low water level and 4 (!) T. salt per 10 she is still swimming tilted.

Brian, did you tell me that you had seen females with this condition actually spawn? If so, I will keep her. If not, I'll do the hard thing.

She seems happy. She's always the first at the food. Before this happened she was pecking at the cone a little. It breaks my fault because it was my fault.

Al, this is one that I got from you as a wee tot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Mine was a male that continued spawning. He led a great life right up until the very end when he started losing weight. I think other complications set in due to stress of trying to correct himself. He lasted 3 years head standing before I had no choice but to euthanized him.

I don't see the traditional swelling in the mid-section so I still feel this is the result of hitting the tank. Have you noticed if she's losing weight?

Personally, without the bulge in the swim bladder area, I would keep her around, but I'm a softie when it comes to euthanizing. If she starts looking emancipated, that's a different story.

Have you tried some epsom salts?

When I was five years old, my and my grandmother were rear ended in a bad accident. She injured her neck and was in terrible pain and wore a neck brace nearly the rest of her life. When I was 36 and she was in her 80's, we went to a nursery looking for some shrubs for her house. She tripped and fell over a railroad tie and everyone freaked out and ran to her aid. She got up, took off her neck brace and never wore it again. Maybe your discus will hit the tank again and be fine? Lol...

I tried the Epsom salt early on and it did nothing, Brian. She eats like a horse and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. I'll keep her around?

Should I start removing all the salt with daily WC? It doesn't seem that it would be any good long term.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Yeah, no emergency to remove the salt. I'm glad you're giving her a chance. Who knows, she may snap out of it and surprise us all...

Liz, I totally missed this thread. So this has been going on since November. A few things come to mind. Though its possible that she crashed into something and it caused neurological damage I think that would have been an all or nothing thing meaning that she most likely would not have relapses as she has had //
    I fixed it several times but this time even with a low water level and 4 (!) T. salt per 10 she is still swimming tilted.
    Once the "neurological damage was healed Its not likely to relapse.

Its more likely a swim bladder issue. I think if she eating and not stressed keeping her is not a problem and she can still breed, I have had discus with huge gashes in the side breed. Thats a strong biological drive. The question of whats causing is a hard one, persistent bacterial infection, Tumor, and worms all come to mind. If its a tumor, theres nothing to be done so lets focus on the other two options. I see you had ordered metro, did you ever treat this fish with metro or other medications since the problem happened?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I treated the pairs to clean them up before they bred. I used Metro, Absolute wormer and a PP treatment. I really think it had something to do with a blow to her head, at least initially.
    Mama Bear

Liz,
    " She's spawned many times but I have never tried to raise her kids since I wanted only kids from my own strain. Yours are all from a blue based pair of my own breeding "
    One thing thats thought to cause swim bladder issues in female fish is egg Production. I have seen egg bound females before and boyancy can be an issue.The eggs can compress the swim bladder is one theory. Maybe thats why you have had this happen several times now?
    Just a thought,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I've given up trying to figure out why this is on going. Today's she's quite a bit better. Go figure...

You sold me a pretty fish, didn't you, Al?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I've given up trying to figure out why this is on going. Today's she's quite a bit better. Go figure...

You sold me a pretty fish, didn't you, Al?
    I did. but you raised her to her potential, I had the easy job.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I hope that this will please us both, as well. She is horizontal this afternoon. Let's hope it lasts this time. I want me some little babies to play with.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

If this were a wrecked swim bladder she wouldn't be playing these games. I think a full recovery is on the horizon!!!

That's how it feels like she's doing. She's like a kid looking for attention.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Is she batting her eyes at you as well, Liz?

She hasn't taken it that far....yet.
    Mama Bear

Upside-down again this morning. I've quit worrying about it. I just hope she doesn't OD on salt.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast