ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Discus

Default Re: New to Discus

Hi,
    Tank looks pretty good as do most of your discus. I do think they will do much better once the arrowana is rehomed. Good call there. If you add more fish, please remember to be patient and quarantine the new ones.

One note I would like to make is to suggest that you should re-evaluate the amount of food and frequency of feeding. Though your discus have grown for you and appear healthy (aside from being stressed) They should be larger by now which could be from not enough food, wrong kinds of food, or it could also mean the fish were already older than you thought when you bought them...and stunted.

This happens alot. Its possible you can get more growth out of them if you feed more. Just be sure to monitor water quality if you do and up the wc frequency.

Thanks for the update here.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 08-14-2023 at 07:36 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Oh and one other note.. please read this thread...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...sers-read-this

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Not sure why but some of your discus are in sad shape. In your first picture the pb in the center looked like a nice fish. But in picture 6 of your new pics it’s definitely stunted and its fins look like fin rot. But I don’t think that’s it I think it’s got worms and the worm are getting all the nutrients and it’s slowly dying. I’d remove it and try treating with prazi pro. I’m not sure how much the arrowanna is stressing them but I guaranteed the angels are! Those angels are running that tank. Id put them back in the 60!

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice!!! I’ll up my feedings and continue my water changes I do notice they are constantly hungry so I’ll be a better fish dad. Once I rehome the Arowana I’ll power feed and hopefully that does the trick. I think they are definitely stunted I’m sure the place I got them from wasn’t the ideal place. Spending more money for quality this time around. I’m a little bummed that they haven’t grown more but I figured it would be a learning experience I am happy that they are healthy though. It’s too bad some might not grow anymore. Any places in Southern California with good discus you might recommend ?

Registered Member

Yes that pigeon blood just took a turn for the worst! It still eats normally but I agree he doesn’t look great. That’s strange because I have not seen the angels ever mess with the discus. No chasing or aggression even when they try to spawn. What behavior should I check for on the angels to identify them stressing the discus ?

Angels are pigs at eating.. I will bet anything they get the lion share of the food you put in the tank...followed by the arrowana..For discus to grow well they need lots of food and clean water. Once these are out of the tank you can hopefully get some additional growth on them. I do agree with Tom on the pb being in poor shape but I doubt at this point it can be turned around. It will likely be the runt in the tank. Its pretty common with groups of discus that the weakest will waste away.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thanks for the input Al
    I feed hikari sticks to the arowana and the angelfish eat the vibra bites and flakes. My discus eat vibra bites and hikari discus pellets as well as frozen beef heart. What would be a different food for me to add to the mix? I will rehome the arowana. I never considered rehoming my angels it’s going to be a hard decision to make �� lol
    And I think I will try to qt my PB just to say I tried but I do notice the bottom of the pecking order discus don’t grow as fast and stay relatively small. Lots of factors to consider since the source of where I bought all of them might not have been the greatest. I’ve been looking at Jack wattley discus, Chicago discus, and discus.com
    Will buy another 3 at the 3.5-4” range in hopes of better quality once the aro is out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxxsv View Post
    Thanks for the input Al
    I feed hikari sticks to the arowana and the angelfish eat the vibra bites and flakes. My discus eat vibra bites and hikari discus pellets as well as frozen beef heart. What would be a different food for me to add to the mix? I will rehome the arowana. I never considered rehoming my angels it’s going to be a hard decision to make �� lol
    And I think I will try to qt my PB just to say I tried but I do notice the bottom of the pecking order discus don’t grow as fast and stay relatively small. Lots of factors to consider since the source of where I bought all of them might not have been the greatest. I’ve been looking at Jack wattley discus, Chicago discus, and discus.com
    Will buy another 3 at the 3.5-4” range in hopes of better quality once the aro is out of there.
    Chicago Discus would be a great choice and they are a sponsor of the forum which helps keep us online. You can also look at other great sponsors here...http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...iscus-Sponsors when members use our sponsors they are helping to keep the forum here for members in need to get guidance and the sponsors really try hard to provide great fish.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Tom

Do you still have the 60? You can see the angels look great! That’s why the discus don’t. No clue what the arowana is like. Havnt had one since I was a kid. Now please look at the sponsors of this site. You will find they are recommended by most discus sites. Simply pretty much dictates this. They’re a reason! Of the 3 you picked Chicago is it. The others NEED to be avoided!! Next buy the biggest discus you can afford. Big =healthy. Recently bought 3 from chicago4D3C00EF-2B39-450E-B4E3-E0CDB0669227.jpgE3D318D6-CF57-4C71-904D-1A5031A2B443.jpg in the second pic the Chicago one is in front. Than a local and the last 2 are a pair of blue tigers I got from Pingco last year.

Registered Member

Alright folks no more arowana and angelfish. Listening to your advice on these moves! Have a discus in quarantine right now as well. I have a few plans for this tank. Will be moved into my house now and would like to add some rummy nose tetra school.

Registered Member

Possibly a gold nugget pleco and some corydoras for a nice show tank in my living room ! Convinced the wife
    That way I can interact with them more and feed them more frequently very excited. Going to ask for some man power next weekend. Question? If I drain my tank like 90% and move my tank and use my seeded 2 2fx5s they should be fine right? I already do 80% water changes anyways.

Should be fine to drain and move the tank and filters. Sounds like you have a decent plan in place.. dont skimp on the QT time for that new discus... and dont forget to QT other new fish.

What kind of discus did you get? If you get a chance post its pic here.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

He is like a red based turquoise I’ll post pictures later after work. He was a trade for my arowana at a lfs
    Yes I will qt new fish in a 29 gal

Registered Member

Here is a picture of the new guy in the tank he was in at the LFS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Hey guys brought my tank inside. Loving the new scape and all fish doing great except for my pigeon that was already ill. Quarantined the guy but did not make a difference. Anyways just want a clean up crew and some rummynose maybe some more plants. Here are some picture bombs! A video will do more justice but enjoy I’ll record a feeding video soon
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12