AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Heater for 5x2x2 feet barebottom aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Heater for 5x2x2 feet barebottom aquarium

Which watts would be best for a 5x2x2 feet barebottom aquarium for discus. Two 300 watt heater or one 200 watt heater and one 250 watt heater. Secondly the more higher temperature the better it is for discus. Is it safe to keep temperature at a constant 30 plus Celsius.

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Heater for 5x2x2 feet barebottom aquarium

My tank is half that size (by volume, mine is a 75 yours 150 gallon) and I have two 300 watt heaters. But during the winter we keep our house pretty cold - about 62*F. I keep the tank at 85*F (not quite 30*C) so it needs to be able to warm the tank about 25 degrees and if I need to push it to 93*F for a treatment then I have that capacity. Take that for what it's worth. The problem is hiding the suckers because they're ugly! I guess if you have a sump you probably have some better options.

My other suggestion would be to have a secondary temperature controller (I use an Inkbird) to have better control and overtemperature protection.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I’ve got a 120 and have 2x150w and 1x300W. Keep the house in mid 60’s in winter

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Check this heater out, have one now on my 125-gallon discus tank and it gets a steady 82F. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NBB99ZC

Registered Member

I have same size tank as you. I keep 2 300w heaters connected to an inkbird temp controller and another 300w in case I need to go past 86 degrees F.

Real Name
    Tom

Hygger is making some good heaters. I have similar ones in my bigger tanks. In my 180 I’ve got a 500w in the tank and a 300w in the sump. Run it at 84.