AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to discus, Confirm my understanding/plans

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: New to discus, Confirm my understanding/plans

Ok right now with most of my discus at 5” and in my tanks for over a year I change 50% twice a week. When they were new I use a 50g qt till around 5” then I slow down on water changes till all good with twice a week. Then they go in main tanks. I did these water changes as soon as I got home from work. Now retired . I’ve got plenty of time.

On the 911s my 83 stopped running over the summer. It’s at my in-laws house so I never had a lot of time to figure it out and figured the gas gauge may be broken on the battery was charged enough. Was going to have it towed in to fix it. But my son last week fixed it in about 10 min. The relay in the fuse box had fallen out!! Thing runs great!

Real Name
    Tom

Ok missed that last question and on another site this is how I answer that. These fish need clean water. If you’re not up for the maintenance they may not be for you. I understand what you’re saying 6 in a 140 should be fine. But you know what happens. Dither fish,plants,more discus and before you know it the tanks overstocked.

Chatfouz im not saying you I’m saying in general. But even you will need to do the first month of water changes and if you get more your maintenance will need to be more.

Registered Member

If you can only do WCs on weekends, do not get Discus.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    If you can only do WCs on weekends, do not get Discus.
    Yes, but get fully grown discus. Feed once a day on high quality food or twice in smaller amounts. Try 1 fish per 20 gal. or so instead of 10 gal. per fish. Use aged water not tap and try an 80% or more WC. I have never tried this but might work. I wouldn't try it on young growing discus that are fed a lot.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Agree if only 2 water changes a week I would spread them out throughout the week and get largest discus you can afford.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12