ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All Discus Stopped Eating...

Registered Member

Default All Discus Stopped Eating...

1.Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    A) All of my 12 discus stopped eating when I made a new batch of beef heart with added asthaxanthin (this started about 2 weeks ago). The only other thing that I can think of that was different was that I added puragen…

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    A) They don’t eat and show reduced “drive” to come to the top of the tank when approaching to feed. Other than that they seem normal.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    A) I made a new batch of food w/o the asthaxanthin and jumped the temperatures up to 89/90 for a couple days with no results.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    A) 180gallon 6x2x2, 12 Stenkir discus 4-7”

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    A) 30-40% every 4 days

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    A) Running a year and a half but recently moved everything from a 100gallon to the 180gallon about 2 months ago. Bare bottom tank.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    A) I used to age the water with the 100gallon tank and no longer with the 180gallon due to the volume of water. Ph swing 7.4 goes up to 7.8.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    A) I use Prime and dose the entire tank during a water change.

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 89

- ph 7.8

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water N/A

- municipal water Yes

- RO water N/A

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    A) I added 3 new discus from the same supplier and 27 rummynose. All where quarantined for over a month before moving everyone into the 180 at once.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    A) I used to feed flakes in the mornings then 5-7grams of my beef heart mix (beef heart, sole, shrimp, banana, peas, vitamin mix from supplier) lunch and dinner. Now I am feeding very little due to the waste…

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    A) No visible symptoms…

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: All Discus Stopped Eating...

We'd like to see some photo's of the group as well as some individuals.

For all discus to stop eating at the same time usually means water issues or cross contamination. I doubt the food is the cause unless something bad or toxic was included that slipped by.

You performed QT on your new arrivals but did you use a hero from your existing stock as a test? How long ago were they introduced to the main tank?

I would strongly suggest aging your water again, at least until this problem is solved. At least this would eliminate aging as a possible source of your issues. I would also see if you can increase water changes during this time as well. If there is CC then the best thing to do is to reduce bacteria count through water changes.

Registered Member

Thank you for the response.

I can get some photos but visibility they are the same with slightly sunken bellies.

I moved the original 9 from the 100gallon, with all the quarantine fish over 2 months ago.

I agree, I think it is something in the water. I am going to do daily water changes and age water as suggested to hopefully clear whatever may be toxic in the aquarium.

Registered Member

20221208_170327.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

I have removed the background and the mat that where made by 3D aqua decor. I did have a large driftwood piece made from them as well that I removed over a week ago due to finding out they accidently left screws in it which rusted a little bit.

Real Name
    Brian

They actually look pretty good. Not clamped or dark which would indicate CC. I suspect water related issues. I would step up the water routine like we agree on and see if there's any improvement. Keep us updated daily!!

Just an idea, but water supplies can wreak havoc on discus during changes in season and winter. Your regular summer routine may change during winter and ageing water can make a huge difference...

Real Name
    Carter

Do you think the aquadecor background was the issue? I was wanting to order a faux driftwood piece but now I'm worried.

Registered Member

Honestly I don't know. I have used their birch rounds before with no issue. The one driftwood piece did have some screws left in by mistake which where starting to rust (this may of been the problem?). So I removed it, notified them and they are making me another one. I am going to do a test with some water to see if the the tds changes at all (don't know how effective that would actually be).

Registered Member

I have been feeding some brine shrimp mixed with some beef heart. They are picking at the brine shrimp a bit but still not eating very much. I did notice a small, almost translucent what looks to be poop but it isn't long and stringy.

Real Name
    Brian

Try bumping the temp a little more to 93. I would also add about 2-3TBS salt per 10g and replace the percentage removed during water changes for 10-14 days.

Have you tried Al's freeze dried blackworms?

Registered Member

How long are they ok at higher temperatures? I will try out the salt and continue with the water changes. I don't think I am able to get the blackworms where I am but I will look into it. Thank you.

Real Name
    Brian

93 won't hurt them for 10-14 days. Just try to make sure there's plenty of circulation to aerate and oxygenate the water.

Where are you located? I may be able to find an alternate source of BW's if you're not in the states...

Real Name
    Tom

Ok the discus look great in those pictures. But those are before pics. Can we see what they look like now? Who is your supplier? These 3 new discus may have entered your tank with something and are now causing a cross contamination. Hans the main supplier has been having problems and Stendker themselves have closed shop.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok the discus look great in those pictures. But those are before pics. Can we see what they look like now?
    I didn't realize that. Yes, we need to see current photos!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    93 won't hurt them for 10-14 days. Just try to make sure there's plenty of circulation to aerate and oxygenate the water.

Where are you located? I may be able to find an alternate source of BW's if you're not in the states...
    I think I may of found a supplier. I am in Canada

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast