AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: All Discus Stopped Eating...

Registered Member

Default Re: All Discus Stopped Eating...

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    There are some heaters with thermostat that go above 95 Fahrenheit.

Controller Specifications

Voltage: 100-120V
    Range: 0-99°F
    Accuracy: ±2°F
    Max Load: 800 Watts
    Overload Fuse: 10A
    Memory: Yes

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/800w-...fault_products
    Ok thanks.

Registered Member

So, I have been doing the heat/salt for 6/7 days with very limited results (I couldn't get up to the really high heat as suggested as I didn't have a heater that could reach that). I have been trying to feed brine shrimp, black worms and beef heart with only interest coming from a couple of them. I was thinking on doing a big water change drop the salt back and giving them a break from the heat. Then start a treatment of metro and bump the heat back up.

Looks like lots of different opinions on how to treat with metro but the majority looks like 7-10 days at high heat 2-3 treatments per day with daily water changes.

Any suggestions on best way I should transition into this? Should I give them a break from the heat?

Real Name
    Francis

Raise the water temperature to 94F, Heat can be used to kill many parasites. Some parasites can not tolerate as high of a temperature as the discus can tolerate.Higher heat may not kill all parasites but it can stress them enough to make other treatment strategies more effective. Parasites that are weakened by the heat may succumb more easily to salt and/or other medications.Remember that warmer water carries less oxygen, so be sure to use extra aeration (surface water turbulence) when using high heat. With an increase in temperature, the fish also produce more
    antibodies to help fight infections.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Jacob

I think suggested metro is 12 days, one treatment per day. Nightly water change. Liz is the one who told me. I cannot remember the dose. I also can't remember if I covered the tank during the treatment or not.

Real Name
    Francis

Standard metronidazole dosage is 500 mg per 10 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I think suggested metro is 12 days, one treatment per day. Nightly water change. Liz is the one who told me. I cannot remember the dose. I also can't remember if I covered the tank during the treatment or not.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Ok thank you. I will keep the heat up then and transition right into the metro. Thank you all again for the information.

Registered Member

Lost one this morning. Showed distressed symptoms over the last day and a half and died very quickly... I am feeling very defeated and confused at this point.

Real Name
    Jacob

I'm not saying metro will solve anything, but your situation sounds pretty much exactly like mine. I lost one during metro, but the other came out strong and has caught up in growth pretty much. Did heat/salt, they would improve enough to think maybe things were getting better, but they never did. And when they were "eating" they were actually spitting it out when I observed most closely.

Sorry to hear you lost one, that stinks

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I'm not saying metro will solve anything, but your situation sounds pretty much exactly like mine. I lost one during metro, but the other came out strong and has caught up in growth pretty much. Did heat/salt, they would improve enough to think maybe things were getting better, but they never did. And when they were "eating" they were actually spitting it out when I observed most closely.

Sorry to hear you lost one, that stinks
    Thank you for the kind words and experience. Helps me think that they all wont go down the same road. Fingers crossed.

Registered Member

So the rest have made it through the metro treatment. I would say 9 of the 11 I have seen start to eat little bits. I am curious what I should do next? I have slowly dropped the temperature back down to 86 and been feeding small amounts a couple times a day. Should I try to go back to a normal routine even though a couple of them haven't shown signs of eating or should I continue treatment?

Registered Member

My Checkerboard (one of the 2 that haven't showed signs of eating) is on the bottom of the tank on its side breathing heavy. I don't think it is going to make it... Showed no change in behavior or anything until I woke up this morning.

Real Name
    Brian

Let me re-read all this and see if we missed anything. Sorry for your losses...

Registered Member

The last one that is not eating (my 7" turquoise) is showing distress now... Twitching irritably across the tank on and off. If the other 9 survive I might just have to rehome them. Even with all the research in the world and doing everything "right" I am still failing with these fish after a year and a half of hard work. I knew this was going to be a more challenging fish to keep but I guess I might of lost this one...

Real Name
    Brian

I can't see that you're doing anything wrong here. This has to be water related but the discus in your photo's look fine.

Is there anything different between the 100g and 180g we may have missed?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I can't see that you're doing anything wrong here. This has to be water related but the discus in your photo's look fine.

Is there anything different between the 100g and 180g we may have missed?
    I have thought of every possibility and can't come up with a reasonable answer. I do know that our municipal water in the summer time changes from the reservoir to well water at times of water shortages but that shouldn't be doing anything now. I still have no idea where I would of got a snail outbreak as I had no plants and didn't add anything that wasn't boiled or sterilized first. This happened shortly after they stopped eating (maybe it is linked somehow). It is still very weird that they all stopped eating at the exact same time (to the day). The only thing I noticed in the two that died a day before they actually passed was they where faded in color (not darker) and started swimming weird. Maybe it has something to do with the filtration but it was running with fish in it for like 3 months with fish in it with no problems. Sorry just rambling the only things that could be a possibility...

I did send the first fish out for a necroscopy through my local vet so hopefully I get some sort of answer that I can bring forward.

The metro treatment has been a positive impact for the 9 of 10 that are left and seem to be eating at a regular rate. I am going to extend the treatment every other day for another week to see if I can turn the last one over to eating again.

Thanks again for reading.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123