AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Outdated information

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Outdated information

Al, have you thought about condensing down some of the forums/subforums? I was on here in the mid-2000s (different account) and there was a lot more activity then, obviously. But one thing that might help drive engagement is taking the activity to less places...if that makes sense.

Registered Member

“Speaking of outdated information.. I heard that this Al guy is back and working his tail off again. I do know the guy pretty well and know he will try his best to improve what needs to be improved while preserving what needs to be preserved. The forum has done that many times over its 20 years running. Patience is definitely needed... the poor guy is not so young these days and has alot going on outside the forum.... but he is back.. that much I know 100% and he is greatful for the good friends keeping the forum going in his absence “.

Al, I knew for years you were a great photographer, but just found out recently that you keep chickens (I like heritage breeds, and Black Copper Marans, but can’t keep them where I live), and you have a small breeding herd of red foot tortoises, breed Axolotls, have a science mind like me and will actually do experiments on oak leaves (don’t forget for scientific purposes you need replicates, so since you only have one control tank and one treatment tank after collecting all the data you should repeat the exact same experiment three more times). ��
    Most years at work I come up with a slogan that sort of sums up the year, one from a few years ago that feels like it stayed like the Coronavirus was “Not enough days in the hours”. I have way too many interests and not enough time. Not even in a lifetime.
    Al, if you post soon that you are practicing falconry I will be extremely envious, and not entirely surprised.

As for outdated information and the frequency and number of posts I look at it this way (since I am an optimist)

The Coronavirus was a big boon for the aquarium industry, and brought a lot of new people into the hobby. Sure, most will drop out and stop keeping fish, but a small percentage will continue, and advance to bigger tanks, with different fish. And in time a few of those may discover the “King of Aquarium Fish”. And some of those people will be the future members of this forum. Add me to the list of members who are older than dirt. My first aquariums had metal frames and slate bottoms.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Al, have you thought about condensing down some of the forums/subforums? I was on here in the mid-2000s (different account) and there was a lot more activity then, obviously. But one thing that might help drive engagement is taking the activity to less places...if that makes sense.
    Hi Jacob,
    We will definitely be taking a look at a bunch of things in forum structure.. As it is now reflected the interests of our active members at the time. Times changes, members move on, new ones join. Its ever changing and yet the core remains. We try to see where interests and needs are and try to meet them. I will admit its become harder though to do this as our base has shifted to less members posting and engaging in discussions in favor of just reading. Thats a forums biggest challenge... unlike social media platforms that cater to instant gratification.. things move more slowly on a forum. But the content persists for years. The key there though is member participation. Content creation is the life blood of a forum. That means members posting threads, sharing experiences,responding and interacting.

This forum is a book being written. The authors have been working on it since 2002. Some chapters have been better than others.. some have be so good you dont want to stop reading. Every day YOU ALL access the forum you open the Book and have a choice. Read whats been written or add a page. Write today, so its there for those that come tomorrow.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-08-2023 at 09:01 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by Hicgup View Post
    “Speaking of outdated information.. I heard that this Al guy is back and working his tail off again. I do know the guy pretty well and know he will try his best to improve what needs to be improved while preserving what needs to be preserved. The forum has done that many times over its 20 years running. Patience is definitely needed... the poor guy is not so young these days and has alot going on outside the forum.... but he is back.. that much I know 100% and he is greatful for the good friends keeping the forum going in his absence “.

Al, I knew for years you were a great photographer, but just found out recently that you keep chickens (I like heritage breeds, and Black Copper Marans, but can’t keep them where I live), and you have a small breeding herd of red foot tortoises, breed Axolotls, have a science mind like me and will actually do experiments on oak leaves (don’t forget for scientific purposes you need replicates, so since you only have one control tank and one treatment tank after collecting all the data you should repeat the exact same experiment three more times). ��
    Most years at work I come up with a slogan that sort of sums up the year, one from a few years ago that feels like it stayed like the Coronavirus was “Not enough days in the hours”. I have way too many interests and not enough time. Not even in a lifetime.
    Al, if you post soon that you are practicing falconry I will be extremely envious, and not entirely surprised.

As for outdated information and the frequency and number of posts I look at it this way (since I am an optimist)

The Coronavirus was a big boon for the aquarium industry, and brought a lot of new people into the hobby. Sure, most will drop out and stop keeping fish, but a small percentage will continue, and advance to bigger tanks, with different fish. And in time a few of those may discover the “King of Aquarium Fish”. And some of those people will be the future members of this forum. Add me to the list of members who are older than dirt. My first aquariums had metal frames and slate bottoms.
    Thanks Steve! Much appreciated comments. Have to laugh because I did consider Falconry but at the time it was not legal in CT. ..so I got into Archery instead. You never know. To bond with a bird of prey would be incredible.

I agree with the positives on the corona virus .. it really could be a huge boost to the aquarium hobby. Its pretty much why my son and I started breeding axolotls.

Glad you found a home in the forum!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

We are curently working our way through a few forum software issues right now but hope to resolve them soon .. once thats done the real work will begin.. I guarantee it will move a "lightning fast snails pace" . But it will happen.

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123