AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outdated information

Registered Member

Default Re: Outdated information

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Got to say the python system has been around for about 30yrs. Before that we used garden hoses. I joined the internet sites in 2017. Nobody was doing things much different than I’d been doing. One thing I like and did make sense is the cleaning of my media in old tank water. Before this I cleaned everything with tap water. But I got to say I never had problems with the tap water. The fishless cycling seems to be a big thing. I just don’t get it? Fish in cycling has been done since the start of fish keeping. It’s worked for everybody. But a group of people decided it’s cruel to fish. So now they came up with the fishless cycling. Great! 90% of the people doing it have no clue and think it’s just a time related thing and add there fish at the end of the time frame. Whether or not the ammonia is still there. None buy test kits and don’t understand why all their fish die as soon as added. But I guess that’s not cruel?

Plenty of better pumps than sicce. Jabao is half the price and just as good . Thing now is lots of well advertised things that just aren’t worth the price. Lighting is all over the place. It costs nothing to make these lights but some companies are asking hundreds for what others are asking very little. Media! The pond guru is probably the best salesmen ever in this hobby! Got everybody buying bio-home media and believing it’s going to reduce nitrates! Sponge does much better and is so much cheaper and been around forever. Used to be a saying if it ain’t broke don’t fix it .
    Well, as I said, maybe it's me that has been under a rock, lol. oh well, all I know it, I have my Sicce pump and my python just got delivered this weekend, and I'm pumped and ready to rock and roll. I've been successfully selling off all my coral. As soon as it's all gone, I'll clean out the tank and get it ready for the start of my new discus adventure.

To the admins, it appears that I might have been a little bit off with my observation and there has been some very valid points made by everyone here to counter what I had said. Please feel free to delete the thread.

Real Name
    Willie

The Internet has always been, and will always be, a really terrible place to do primary research. Postings, good and bad, last forever. Lots of gems, lots of nonsense. No real problem gets solved in 1 - 2 paragraphs. Simply is no different.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

When I started the hobby over 50 years ago and to this day I would say a few things have changed for the better. Filtration back then was limited on what you could buy. I still remember the little plastic corner filters with floss and charcoal and ran by an air pump. I can still remember the steal frames on the tanks. Also a lot of old bad information still out there like a 25% WC every week or every month.

I once sold a guy a pair of Discus for he and his son to try to breed. They told me that they weren't having any success even though they were doing everything the book said, including having the temp at 90 degrees. I told them that the book was wrong. There is a lot of misinformation in the old books, but that's all we had at the time.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    When I started the hobby over 50 years ago and to this day I would say a few things have changed for the better. Filtration back then was limited on what you could buy. I still remember the little plastic corner filters with floss and charcoal and ran by an air pump. I can still remember the steal frames on the tanks. Also a lot of old bad information still out there like a 25% WC every week or every month.
    Back then, we were told to not use fresh water because no one understood that chlorine and chloramine would kill the fish. We were suppose to use 'conditioned water', that is the old water in the tank.

I'm as old as dirt, and even I don't remember that.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm as old as dirt, and even I don't remember that.
    OMG.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Back then, we were told to not use fresh water because no one understood that chlorine and chloramine would kill the fish. We were suppose to use 'conditioned water', that is the old water in the tank.
    That's probably why only the 25% water change in those older books; more than that was hard on fish in those days when there was no conditioner available. Most places used just chlorine at that time and we could let that aerate off..

Real Name
    Tom

Ok for me for most of my fishkeeping years 72 till the early 90s all I used was tap water. Yes I lived in NYC. At a discus symposium talking with other people I was told for discus it’s better to use an undercounter type filter with charcoal type media to do your water changes. This would remove the newly added amounts of chlorine in the water. Been doing it like that since then. But I cleaned all my media in tap water till 17 when I joined the internet. Never had a problem but I liked the idea of rinsing the media in used tank water. Just made sense. So been doing it like that since . Does it matter I don’t think so.

Lol 25% water changes back than were big. Most people just refilled for evaporation. Thats what the pet store guy told me as a kid. Same guy who gave me used floss to add to my filter to instant cycle it. That was the norm. Back in the 80s 25% weekly was unheard of .

Another funny thing discussed at my table at the symposium was the idea if you just used ammonia to cycle a fish tank. Would it work. They discussed it like a science project. I asked what the point was and why you’d want to do it that way when everybody did fish in cycling. The answer was just to see if it could be done. In 17 much to my surprise and shock this had become the in norm fishless cycling. Not everything changes in the right direction.
    Last edited by Iminit; 12-13-2022 at 04:39 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

So at least 3 of us are older than dirt.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

More than 3.

Registered Member

The only time I feel old is when I look in the mirror

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    No offense taken. Back in the earlier days before FB, there were up to a couple hundred active members from around the world on the forum at any given time. All contributing and all getting to know each other. Many friendships developed here as well as a lot of the opposite, lol... Now most of the daily visitors are hackers and spammers, but we do have a nice core that keeps things lively...

But many people have changed. Even though they rely on FB and such, there's far too much misinformation and bad advice out there, and as outdated as many parts of this forum are, it's still the best place to learn about discus.

Al may not be around much these days (hopefully he'll be back soon) but he still pays the bills, and it's new members like yourself who ask and learn that keep this place up and running instead of fading into oblivion like so many other forums have.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, please feel free to share them and we'll do our best to make improvements. And, just so you know, a complete forum upgrade and software is in the plans that will make Simply more user and mobile friendly. We just need to get back to work on it...

Speaking of outdated information.. I heard that this Al guy is back and working his tail off again. I do know the guy pretty well and know he will try his best to improve what needs to be improved while preserving what needs to be preserved. The forum has done that many times over its 20 years running. Patience is definitely needed... the poor guy is not so young these days and has alot going on outside the forum.... but he is back.. that much I know 100% and he is greatful for the good friends keeping the forum going in his abscence.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Gremi16 View Post
    That presentation that Al did on Discus was one of the most informative discussions I’ve seen On Discus. I’ve watched it several times already
    What presentation is that? Where can it be found?

Real Name
    Francis

Al Sabetta’s presentation ,How to keep discus.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-Florida View Post
    What presentation is that? Where can it be found?
    Last edited by seanyuki; 02-07-2023 at 10:02 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast