ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Carter's first discus tank

Real Name
    Carter

Default Carter's first discus tank

Hey everyone! Been a bit but I've been lurking the forum. Well, exactly a month ago I got my first group of discus. 11, 3-3.5 inch fish from golden state discus. The whole experience was great, they got me just what I wanted and shipped to my local airport. So far everyone has been doing great. The tank is around 220-240 gallons (not sure the size of this sump exactly ) Display tank is 180 gallons. Been giving them daily 50% water changes. Will update once they get bigger, but they've grown quite a bit already!! 20221207_085559.jpg20221207_084501.jpg20221209_170417 (2).jpg20221210_123717.jpg

Default Re: Carter's first discus tank

very pretty. I like your set up.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Looks good! Keep us updated on how they grow out.

Real Name
    Carter

Thanks guys!! Today was pretty exciting as I got a used IBC tote that had only been used for water storage in the past. Washed it a few times and good to go. It sits outside on my patio and I can pump way more water into my tanks now. Before, my aged barrel was only around 100 gallons. Now it's up to 300!

Real Name
    Carter

Quote Originally Posted by solasis View Post
    Thanks guys!! Today was pretty exciting as I got a used IBC tote that had only been used for water storage in the past. Washed it a few times and good to go. It sits outside on my patio and I can pump way more water into my tanks now. Before, my aged barrel was only around 100 gallons. Now it's up to 300!
    Though, this reminds me. I know activated carbon can cause issues if present inside of the tank. Would it cause the same issues if left inside an aging barrel? I'm not sure how the interaction works to be honest. I just want the water to be purified of any impurities from the outside of air like smoke. Maybe I'm being too paranoid..