AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Eggs on cone, Breeding Tank questions

Registered Member

Default Eggs on cone, Breeding Tank questions

Im new to Discus I bought a 110 gallon tank setup with 6 adult Discus approx 2 weeks ago. Doing 40% water changes every other day using aged tap water

PH 8.2 (aged) 8.0 (straight out of tap)
    TDS 135
    KH 4
    GH 8

I noticed last night I have a pair protecting the breeder cone with eggs.

My thoughts are to purchase a 30-40 gallon tank paint 3 sides white ,heater, airstone and sponge, basic light and move the pair and breeder cone to their own Breeder tank. To have success I need the PH tp be 6.8-7.5 which I do have an RO unit and Seachem Equilibrium to reminerialize or 80-90% RO to tap mix. When I move the Parents and breeder cone to the breeder tank is it ok for them to go from my PH 8 to the breeder tank PH 7 ? Could that shock the Parents and Eggs ?

Frank

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Eggs on cone, Breeding Tank questions

If you move the pair and the cone with eggs to a new tank, don't expect the pair to continue taking care of the eggs. They might, but will probably be too stressed out from the move to care about the eggs. They will either eat them or ignore them to fungus over. They will need time to adjust to the new tank.
    To answer your question, it's not the ph you need to worry so much about, it's the TDS and the amount of calcium in your water. A TDS of 135 is borderline for good fertilization and hatching. You will probably need to mix about 50/50 RO to tap to have much success breeding in your water. At least, that's been my experience.

Real Name
    Steve

Like Steve said, use RO to lower your hardness a bit and don't mess with the pH. Get your breeding tank ready and let them watch this batch where it is. If you lose it, don't worry, just set them up for next time.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

A 29 would be better than a 30 or 40.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Do you know if this pair is confirm, have you seen any hatching yet? Your ph is fine just lower the hardness down to around 120.
    Tank size as recommended by Liz, too large of a tank you'll be chasing the fry.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Do you know if this pair is confirm, have you seen any hatching yet? Your ph is fine just lower the hardness down to around 120.
    Tank size as recommended by Liz, too large of a tank you'll be chasing the fry.

Cliff
    Cliff no not confirmed I have only had them about 2 weeks and noticed them protecting the cone with eggs the eggs didn’t stay long they were gone within 24 hours

Registered Member

Frank, You can screen the eggs on the next spawn, if fertile the eggs will turn dark. When making waterchanges at some r/o..

Cliff