AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Old discus fish become stressed and sick after introducing new discus fish

Registered Member

Default Old discus fish become stressed and sick after introducing new discus fish

Hi .
    My old discus fish become stress and swim weird and his scale looks weird after introducing new discus fish

This is the form-

Problem

1. One of my old fish become stressed after introducing new discus fish to the tank. The then he started having signs on his skin like it start to fall. And sometimes he swim in a weird angle. I just move him to a different tank- small one, with aeration and heat and I wonder what medication should I use. IT all started after the introduction of new discus fish, and the selle tole me that there may be a phenomenon of stress and this symptom can occur and that I should treat with copper

2. Turning dark, scale look weird and like going to fall, the discus swimin a weird angle.

3. none

Tank/Water

4. 300L with 2 old mature discus fish and 6 new very small discus fish

5. 15% daily

6. 50 cm deep with lots of plants and substrate, runs CO2 and daily dosing of fertilizer

7. PH is constant, water are going threw filter that removes chlor/chlorine and heavy metals

8. I’m not using since I have a filter for my tap water that removes chlor/chlorine

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _8-.7 F7.7____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __yes__

- RO water ____

10. Yes 6 small discus fish, looks healthy

11. I feed tetra bits 6 times a day small amount

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Ill try to take a picture
    please help me!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Old discus fish become stressed and sick after introducing new discus fish

Sounds like cross contamination but a photo will help.

Do not treat with copper. If this is CC then I would treat with Rid-Ich+ and a little salt or nitrofurizone, but I would post some quality photo's ASAP before any treatment.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Old discus fish become stressed and sick after introducing new discus fish

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

Do not treat with copper. If this is CC then I would treat with Rid-Ich+ and a little salt or nitrofurizone, but I would post some quality photo's ASAP before any treatment.
    So I will try to take a picture but in the meanwhile- he is not using one fin so he is swimming in a weird angle, and he has white marks on his body, like the line of it's leopard marks

Registered Member

Here some photos

IMG_20221220_152401.jpgIMG_20221220_152401.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

This appears to be bacterial cross contamination. Where are you located?

Registered Member

This appears to be bacterial cross contamination. Where are you located?
    I'm from Israel' The fish is currently at the big tank with the other old discus fish, what should I do??

Real Name
    Brian

I'm not sure what meds you have available to you in Israel but Rid Ich+ is available in many countries.

I would place any sick fish in a hospital tank. Treating in a planted tank is difficult but there are members here who have done it.

I've used pure nitrofurazone and salt for external bacterial issues but it's becoming hard to find. More recently, people have been using Rid Ich+. If you can't find it then look for another product that contains malachite green and formalin. Follow directions. I would also add 4 TBS regular salt with no additives per 10g for the duration of the treatment. Replace the percentage of salt that is removed during water changes.

Your best ally is large daily water changes because this will help reduce bacteria count and provide a clean environment. Salt will help with respiration and to produce a slime coat.

Your discus looks bad, but it's not as bad as it looks. They're very tough and can rebound from this.

Real Name
    Brian

I found this website that appears to be Israeli but use your best judgement when ordering https://www.desertcart.co.il/product...ich-plus-37656

Registered Member

I found this website that appears to be Israeli but use your best judgement when ordering https://www.desertcart.co.il/product...ich-plus-37656
    Thank you so much, That was very thorough and comprehensive

Real Name
    Brian

Keep us posted on your progress in case things need to be adjusted...