ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White poop

Registered Member

Default White poop

I messed up and bought a ton of fish from uncle sams over the summer and have fought one issue after another.. lost a lot!! and still am loosing some. Got around 30 left out of 50 I began with. Water shouldn’t be the issue i keep it almost perfect!! I have them in my 430 gallon tank with a drip system at 3-4 gph..have a 120 gallon sump. Also do weekly water change to keep ammonia 0 and nitrates below 20 for my stingrays. What can I do? Starts out long long white poop then they pretty much just start wasting away to skin and bones.. it’s got to be stingray safe also.. I have been trying to catch them and put them in my 75 gal I have set up as a hospital tank but it’s to the point I need to try and do something for all of them in the big tank. Almost impossible to catch them all and when I move them they seem to die faster.. I’ll try and get a picture on here. Thanks for any help

Registered Member

Default Re: White poop

Not the best pic but it was towards the back of the tank and hiding

Real Name
    Brian

I messed up and bought a ton of fish from uncle sams over the summer and have fought one issue after another.
    Don't feel alone. A few years ago I made the same mistake with the same results... Between parasites, being hormoned and what else ever they may have had, as well as hundreds of dollars worth of meds - out of 12 discus I had 0 left after 2 years!

I would move them to a more manageable and smaller tank, then run a course of metro and 93 heat for 10-14 days, then begin Al's QT procedure from the beginning. Although
    they were in the same room together, my Uncle Scams discus were never introduced to my main stock because they were never healthy enough for me to risk it. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...tine-Procedure

Hopefully they haven't passed anything along to your rays and other fish.

Real Name
    Jacob

Are they growing at all? That one looks really small for having been in a tank for six months. Probably need metro and heat like Brian suggests.

Registered Member

I’m hoping they haven’t passed anything along..they have all been together for almost 2 months. I would hate if they passed something to my rays.. Some of the discus are doing great but some lurk in the shadows with issues. They are hard to catch in such a big tank. I would never buy another discus from uncle sams . Sad thing is it’s almost turned me from wanting to keep discus, I’ve done everything I can and it does not matter when you get crap fish. Im also out hundreds in medicine. And can’t keep them doing well. Pretty frustrating

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Are they growing at all? That one looks really small for having been in a tank for six months. Probably need metro and heat like Brian suggests.
    Some are growing great others not so great

Real Name
    Tom

Picture of the whole tank would help and of individual fish large and small. Moving all to a smaller tank would be the best move. 50 discus at once from uncle sams is just a mistake. They must have been smiling ear to ear.

Registered Member

Most the ones you see are the ones that have been doing good the rest hide behind the overflows and you can’t see in the pics

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Picture of the whole tank would help and of individual fish large and small. Moving all to a smaller tank would be the best move. 50 discus at once from uncle sams is just a mistake. They must have been smiling ear to ear.
    Worst part I did multiple orders cause I thought I was getting a good deal.. I looked past the problems thinking I could fix them..pretty dumb on my part.

Real Name
    Brian

It's not dumb on your part. It's part of the learning curve. When I got mine, they had a good reputation but I didn't know they had been recently bought out. I've been in this hobby for 20 years and I still got taken, But yeah, I still felt pretty dumb, lol...

Good discus aren't cheap and cheap discus aren't always good!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's not dumb on your part. It's part of the learning curve. When I got mine, they had a good reputation but I didn't know they had been recently bought out. I've been in this hobby for 20 years and I still got taken, But yeah, I still felt pretty dumb, lol...

Good discus aren't cheap and cheap discus aren't always good!
    I bought 10 originally and they came and looked beautiful I thought wow I need more! so I did another order of 10 and they left a little to be desired but I figured price was right can’t complain.. well then they dropped prices again so not being one to miss a “good” deal I did another 10 by the time I got them I started recognizing they all had some problems and it’s been a roller coaster ever since! some weeks I think we are passed it and then something comes up again. But as of that wasn’t enough I bought 4 breeding pairs because they was less than 200$ a pair.. granted they have been laying eggs like crazy.. but still haven’t had any wigglers.. one Of them died and one had some kind of internal infection that seems to be okay now.

Real Name
    Brian

But as of that wasn’t enough I bought 4 breeding pairs because they was less than 200$ a pair.. granted they have been laying eggs like crazy.. but still haven’t had any wigglers..
    This sounds like outright fraud! They move fish in and out too fast to confirm they have a pair, and if they did they certainly wouldn't cost only $200.

This is one I was promised -

expected.jpg

And this is what I received, lol...

received.jpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    This sounds like outright fraud! They move fish in and out too fast to confirm they have a pair, and if they did they certainly wouldn't cost only $200.

This is one I was promised -

expected.jpg

And this is what I received, lol...

received.jpg
    About same story.. I should clarify though that they was potential breeding pairs.

Real Name
    Tom

Well that’s a great looking tank! Acrylic? Ok something’s wrong with the discus. Don’t know how long it was between buying each group. But I’d say they all came from the same shipment. They look like 2.5” discus and being you’ve had them for 2 months they should be bigger. 430g is a great tank. But these guys right now would be better in a 75g with you changing water daily and feeding them as often as possibly. Mine a 2.5 I fed 6+ times a day and changed 50+% daily. Even the rays look small and shouldn’t they have some sand in the tank? It’s good there small because any bigger and those discus would be ray snacks .

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well that’s a great looking tank! Acrylic? Ok something’s wrong with the discus. Don’t know how long it was between buying each group. But I’d say they all came from the same shipment. They look like 2.5” discus and being you’ve had them for 2 months they should be bigger. 430g is a great tank. But these guys right now would be better in a 75g with you changing water daily and feeding them as often as possibly. Mine a 2.5 I fed 6+ times a day and changed 50+% daily. Even the rays look small and shouldn’t they have some sand in the tank? It’s good there small because any bigger and those discus would be ray snacks .
    Thank you! Ya it’s acrylic.The orders were all within a month or so. They haven’t grown a ton. I’ve only had the rays a month but they seem to be growing actually pretty well. I have an albino silver Aro that is growing good also..but some of the discus seem to grow better than the others. Surprisingly the few I got from
    Petco grew like crazy! I have them in another tank it’s a 175 gal acrylic corner tank. I am considering pulling All the discus from the 430, getting them back to Health in a 75.. keep my favorites and get rid of the others. maybe think of another stocking option for the rays and Aro. I’m worried now the rays are gonna get sick from the discus. And I know they like sand but I want to be able to keep it perfectly clean also…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast