AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few questions

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Default A few questions

We are just about to get back into discus after a 30 year absence. We used to make a BH mix and used Knox gelatin to bind it. The last batch I made I used a binder that was advertised in FAMA. It worked much better than the gelatin. Of coarse I do not remember the name of it. Is anything like that still available?

Also why do a lot, if not most, recipes contain garlic?

We used BH, shrimp, calf liver, spirulina powder, baby food carrots, and the gelatin.

Default Re: A few questions

It was probably agar agar. The reason for the garlic is that it's said garlic stimulates appetite and discourages internal parasites.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Well in the last 30yrs many have moved away from beefheart. So many better choices now. From flakes to freeze dried black worms (fdbw). 30 yrs ago we fed live black worms. Also no good for discus. Lot of new food that are so much better.

Real Name
    Francis

Just curious why are live blackworms bad for discus?

QUOTE=Iminit;1367965]Well in the last 30yrs many have moved away from beefheart. So many better choices now. From flakes to freeze dried black worms (fdbw). 30 yrs ago we fed live black worms. Also no good for discus. Lot of new food that are so much better.[/QUOTE]
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

Educate me on the better foods. I can see FDBW as being very expensive if you have a lot of fish to feed. We used to buy frozen BS from some place in Michigan whose name I can't remember. They had everything from live fish, frozen food, regen blowers, etc. We even sold them discus when we were over run.

Real Name
    Tom

Francis they were always just dirty with many other things in with them. Leaches other worms and many parasites in the worms themselves. Discus regularly died from having eaten them. Years ago I was told most of the odd deaths to discus were from live foods. Why I use the freeze dried ones. The freeze drying kill any parasites. Got to say I am surprised how many still use them. Plus when feeding live black worms most of your discus will refuse any other food.

Vanman as to other food there are many and hopefully other will put up what they use. As to blackworms being expensive. So are discus! But it’s not just fdbw you can use freeze dried tubiflex worms. Much cheaper and easier to get. Thanks Liz! As for other foods Sera discus pellets are great hakari vita bits are also great and look like worm. Many different flake foods will work too. A mix these up daily. Never feed beef heart or live foods.

If I could afford them I'd feed live blackworms everyday just like I used to 15 years ago.

BTW, if freeze dried food transmits no parasites, why not save a buck and buy Tubifex, like I do?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Totally agree with Liz.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

I fed white worms at one time they were cheap.

Cliff

The only live food I get to feed my Discus are my cull shrimp.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Pellets have come a long way. Sera and others are definitely worth a try, plus they can be dispensed via auto feeders.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

The fish will be here in a couple weeks. Al's FDBW will be here Monday. Still having a major problem finding anyplace that will sell me beef hearts. Until I find a source of beef hearts, which pellets are good and which ones do I need to stay away from?

The plan is to feed BH twice a day, FDBW as a treat, and pellets with an auto feeder two or three times a day. That along with a daily massive water change should work.

Which auto feeder should we get?

I fed 99% Ground turkey for a long while. I'd forgotten about it but I think I'll start making it again. I grew out a very large spawn of Blue Diamonds on Ground Turkey only. They did great. Actually, Francis bought a large group of them from me.

Back when I used them the most highly recommended here was the Eheim feeder. Since then there may be something better that I don't know of. Now that I'm retired, and home all the time, I no longer use them.
    https://www.amazon.com/Everyday-Feed...-5220642?psc=1
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I use the sera granules. The health and the color enhancer. Next is Al’s discus chow. Everything eat this. Even the shrimp. From day one.
    Why don’t I feed tubiflex? How could I stop using Al’s? .

Quote Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
    The fish will be here in a couple weeks. Al's FDBW will be here Monday. Still having a major problem finding anyplace that will sell me beef hearts. Until I find a source of beef hearts, which pellets are good and which ones do I need to stay away from?

The plan is to feed BH twice a day, FDBW as a treat, and pellets with an auto feeder two or three times a day. That along with a daily massive water change should work.

Which auto feeder should we get?
    Well, I am Partial to Discus Chow and Diskus Gold as my go to pellet. I am quite honestly biased extremely though. Your plan should work fine for you Gary ..question ... how big are the Fish you are getting?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast