AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: ATO system

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default ATO system

I’m thinking about setting up an ATO system. Can someone enlighten me as to how to set one up? Any good videos out there or ge er advice? Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: ATO system

Hi, I’ve got one in my sump. It’s very simple to set up, and I wish I’d done it much sooner.

The little kit I got was about $100, it’s a magnetic “eye” to set your level, a small pump that goes in a reservoir of your choice, and a power adapter. FZ something from Amazon. I also have one from brs (see their YouTube channel for video tutorial) that I don’t like as much.

I’m using a 10g aquarium for reservoir because it’s what fits in the cabinet and I had it laying around, but I wish it were bigger. My system is a 142 rimless with 30g sump. I love about 3gallons every day to evaporation.

Make it easy on yourself to turn it on/off because you’ll need to do it at every WC. I use wifi outlets and an iPhone.

Now, cue the “if you were changing water daily you wouldn’t need one” reply, lol! I’m really glad I got mine.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks- can share some pics?

Real Name
    Tom

Ok well I’m not understanding it . Yes I do understand the sumps show the evaporation but with water changes we’re refilling them. So why an ATO. For saltwater and other keeper I can understand but with the water changes I don’t see the need.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Tom, at 50% per day WC your solute concentration only increases a little more than 1% at steady state assuming 1 % evaporative loss. If you were to move that to every 10 days your solute change would be ~ 12% which might matter. Would be reflected by a TDS change of the same magnitude only due evap. loss. Add fish and the value increases even more.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Ok well I’m not understanding it . Yes I do understand the sumps show the evaporation but with water changes we’re refilling them. So why an ATO. For saltwater and other keeper I can understand but with the water changes I don’t see the need.
    In my particular rimless system it’s a very, very nice to have, but not a need. I usually do WC at night, say 10pm. By the next day the level in my sump starts dropping. If I don’t do a WC that day it starts to splash and it’s super annoying. With this, water stays level in the sump.Also great for vacations.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Thanks- can share some pics?
    Even better, here’s a video of it:
    https://youtu.be/EaWq2tWgZ9E