AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Cycling

Registered Member

Default Cycling

Hey all! So, I have a question. I’ve started on the road to discus. Bought a 30 gallon (60x45x45cm) as a grow-out tank. Going to go with 10 2.5”-3” babies to start and watch them grow. My issue is this: I live in Japan and things US based are not so easy to get here, such as Dr. Tims one and only, like I used to buy in the US. I was going to do a fishless cycle with Prodibio startup, but I cannot find the pure ammonia. I’ve heard about using a raw shrimp or fish food, but heard that was smelly and messy.

Edit: also, I don’t have access to any freshwater media from another aquarium. I’m only running a marine tank now.

What route would you take at this point to get a cycle going?

Greg
    Last edited by Gremi16; 12-30-2022 at 04:25 AM.

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Cycling

Liz suggested using Prime and Stability daily at water change time and that worked swimmingly for me. Was doing daily 60% changes and eventually 90%. So the bad stuff can't really build up.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Liz suggested using Prime and Stability daily at water change time and that worked swimmingly for me. Was doing daily 60% changes and eventually 90%. So the bad stuff can't really build up.
    So, you essentially cycled with your discus? How often were you doing water changes? Because my plan was to be doing several large WC a week anyway. Hmmm, just so happens that I received my bottles of Prime and Stability today in the mail.

Real Name
    Jacob

Nightly 60% changes in a 75 with 10x 2.5" discus. Then 90% somewhere along the way when I got my bigger barrel.

Stability is a product that contains the bacteria that the sponge needs to cycle. First you add the fish, next you add the Stability. Do large WCs at first and lesser as time goes by.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Stability is a product that contains the bacteria that the sponge needs to cycle. First you add the fish, next you add the Stability. Do large WCs at first and lesser as time goes by.
    Awesome! Thanks Liz

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Nightly 60% changes in a 75 with 10x 2.5" discus. Then 90% somewhere along the way when I got my bigger barrel.
    Thanks for replying.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Can vouch for Prime and Stability route with in fish cycling - I did with my discus, and thankfully they're all fine.

I had some Amguard ready incase the Ammonia spike went too high. I was doing big water changes every 2 days, but I had a 180g tank so could afford some flexibility, with a 30g you defo want to do at least one big WC a day

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wuvarien View Post
    Can vouch for Prime and Stability route with in fish cycling - I did with my discus, and thankfully they're all fine.

I had some Amguard ready incase the Ammonia spike went too high. I was doing big water changes every 2 days, but I had a 180g tank so could afford some flexibility, with a 30g you defo want to do at least one big WC a day
    Oh, I will be, for sure. I’m thinking 75% a day, at least . Thanks for the confirmation.