AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick Fish! Can't figure it out.

Registered Member

Default Sick Fish! Can't figure it out.

Hi all! I've been doing my best here and researching like crazy, but not sure if I should continue the current course or try something else. Appreciate your help!

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

All of my Discus (6 adults - 6.5+ inches each, 1 juvie) are breathing very fast and heavy with both opercula wide open and gills feathered/hanging out. They are mostly sticking close to the surface. They are also flicking/twitching some, they have become extremely skiddish, and only the juvie is currently eating. Aside from this they look great…full color…no spots or anything I can see.

This all began about a month ago when I wanted to remove 2 of my clown loaches and add the new juvie Discus. It took me 30 minutes chasing the loaches all over the tank to catch them, so I think all the fish got very stressed. I did not quarantine the juvie first (I know, I know…) because I have never had an issue with Discus from this source before.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Please see above.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I started with Wormer Plus (Flubendazole) for one treatment thinking it was flukes. I saw no improvement so I switched to PraziPro for two rounds. Still no improvement so I have now been dosing pure Metronidazole each day for the last 5 days thinking it's possibly Ich or something similar. The fish are not hanging around the surface quite as much today, but they are still very sick and stressed.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

125 gallon tall Acrylic tank. 6 adult Discus (6.5+”) ranging from 1.5 to 7 years old. 1 juvie Discus. 3 large clown loaches (5-6 inches), 4 cory catfish, 3 cardinal Tetras.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

60% water change weekly for the past several years. Many of you will likely say that’s not enough, but it has worked for years and I constantly monitor the water parameters. I have been doing a 50% change every 2-3 days since they got sick.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

7 years. I have about one inch of black pebble substrate.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I age the tap water for at least 24-48 hours until the Ph is down to 7.2. My kH is always 2.5-3 and gH is around 300.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

I add one capful of Prime to each 32 gallon aging tank before pumping into the aquarium.

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82-84___

- ph _7.2____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _0-5___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __X__

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Yes, just the juvie Discus one month ago

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Frozen beefheart, frozen bloodworms, and various flakes/pellets. Usually 2-4 times a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Sick Fish! Can't figure it out.

The loaches were in with the discus when you removed them? It's possible something got stirred up something in the substrate and has infected the gills. It's also possbile something came in with the new discus.

You could try a salt dip http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Do-a-Salt-Dip and a follow up with Methylene Blue

or, you could try PP. PP is dangerous stuff so make sure you read up on it before treating. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nganate-aka-PP

The longer this condition lasts, the risk for permemant damage exists.

Registered Member

Thanks Jeep! Yes that’s what I was thinking…either the substrate or the new fish. I’ve been researching PP and considering that. Will look into the salt and methylene as well.

I use PP, but I do it the way Kenny taught me. He didn't follow the recipe. He did it by color. You want it pink, not purple. The entire PP treatment last's 4 hrs.
    Keep an eye on the fish for that time. After 4 hrs you can add prime or H2 O2 to neutralize the PP. If any fish shows stress during the treatment immediately neutralize the water in the tank. I have never has a fish show any stress. Trying Brian's way is the safest.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 12-31-2022 at 01:25 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thank you both! So my question now is if I do salt/PP separate from the main tank, what should I be treating my main tank with (without killing the bio filter and plants) so I don’t just reinfect the fish?