ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus whirling and darting...

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Discus whirling and darting...

My wife just sent me a snapchat, one of my discus is sideways and spinning a bit and darting. Looks like whirling that I've seen others post. I cannot share the video, but it looks like it has a divot where it whacked its head. They said it got stuck behind the filter (guessing the new HOB) and "flipped out". While she was texting me it again darted across the tank and smashed into the side.

I had my wife kill the light and cover the tank with a blanket hoping that if nothing else they don't have to watch it bash itself to death today.

Everything fine last night and this AM. If it was just a flip out and concussion-type event, is there anything I can really do to help? I could remove it and isolate him, but I would guess that would just be additional stress.
    If it's whirling... for anyone who has experienced it, will others start showing symptoms, usually? Just trying to gauge what I should be looking for when I get home from work this evening.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus whirling and darting...

These things seem to happen every so often and no one has a real explanation. Some reports of it being contagious, others report only a single fish.

The true whirling disease affect cold water species so it doesn't seem to be related to discus.

As a precaution, I would isolate this one and observe it and the others.

Stu posted success by using a really high dose of metro. I think he had several affected but I'm not sure.

Read through this discussion we had on FB a bit ago... https://www.facebook.com/groups/4399...ch/?q=whirling

If it was just a freakout 2 Tablespoons of salt per 10 gallons will help relieve any lingering stress and help prevent his injury becoming infected. Good luck.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

Minor bump to the head... Behaving normally and begging when I took the blanket off. I will put salt in tonight after water change, though there's no outward evidence of injury. My daughter said it was stuck behind a sponge filter and flipped out, then went sideways/whirly... Then another dash before she covered them.

Still doesn't answer what the initial situation was, so I will have to wait and see, I guess.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-03-2023 at 08:11 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Hopefully it's isolated.

Registered Member

Isolate right away. I lost a whole tank of fish with one that started like that. I assumed it was just spooked. If I experience it again (hopefully not), based on what I have read here, I would try heavy doses of salt and metronidazole.