ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: F2 Red Batata Thread

Default Re: F2 Red Batata Thread

OK, now that's the coolest damn thing: "showtanks-non-showtanks". I'm a fan of vision.. regardless if it deals with discus, aquariums, art, mechanics, engineering, coaching, teaching, what have you... that's just such a cool vision and execution with that set up.
    -Elliot

Elliot -- Thank you! I love my fish room/office. It makes me happy and that was the original plan. Speaking of, the entire project spawned from the attached drawing...... I ended up doing something a bit different in the corner losing approximately 61 gallons, but it has been amazing none the less. Over two years open and it is just getting better. Thanks for your nice comments.

Fish Room Drawing.jpg

So I'm assuming you didn't obtain an L-shape tank and went with a standard box-shape to create a cantered corner? (Correct me if wrong... just not easy for anyone to find L-shape)

Well, either way, you still have they option in your back pocket to fuze that tank with the one to the left and/or right (just thinking and totally
    "good idea train-ing out"). Because of your overall design, you can join & seal the inside glasses (might have to bevel each side carefully with diamond coated blade so they are flush.... brackets would be safer but cosmetically "ehh") and then rear panes joined via exterior brackets that can easily be hidden via painting the back of tank. If I did that, I'd definitely have to do 2-5 prototypes (using any tanks discarded locally... regardless of size since just proving the concept of joining the angles)... because I have to fail a LOT in order to learn/get it down.

Seeing what you did, I bet you'd nail it right away. Hell, that could be your "creams of the crops" sub adults you pick from spawns to growout. Damn't, now I'm all nerding out and crap... see what you did? :P
    Last edited by pastry; 01-08-2023 at 02:06 PM.
    -Elliot

SUNDAY NIGHT WATER CHANGE TIME LAPSE

Maybe it goes to fast. I did a 95 percent water change in less than 12 minutes. All captured in a 20 something second time lapse.
    Last edited by Cosgrovb; 01-08-2023 at 09:59 PM.

Elliot -- I got all my tanks custom made byhttps://glasscages.com/. Great company. They were willing to do the L shaped tank but they said it would be so heavy I would not be able to move it. I think over 500 pounds because of the glass thickness necessary. I opted out and went with the 90 gallon featured on the adds. Currently empty and will remain empty for me to split up the F2 Batatas when they become teenagers are are unable to live together in the same glass house.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gary

The room is beautiful as well as the fish. I would love to see pictures or a video of the back side as I am building a fish area in my basement.

Wow... that's heavier than my 150 bare bones empty. Well, then I'd say the wall is complete... yet there's plenty of space for an open topped, circular or oval island of a tank with suspended lights from the ceiling ;P. Just kidding (but if you do that, then I'll be pissed if you don't post pics!). All in all, I absolutely love what you did and it's "new angles" like that which further help me to expand the art of the possible. The only thing I'll nag you about from here until at least a year are periodic pics within this same thread of your Batatas as they grow!
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Great fish! I’m Brazilian, “batata” means “potato” in Portuguese. “Jacaré” means “alligator” so jacarecappa means something like “alligator skin”

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

What are you feeding them?

Hey Brad, long time!! Thats one sweet setup and fish you got there! I'm glad to see things are well with you!
    Happy New Year!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I am feeding these guys a mixture of freeze-dried black worms, freeze-dried tubifex worms, frozen Hikari bloodworm treats, spirulina filled brine shrimp and flakes.

Thank you for the Portuguese translation. I hope they do not look like potatoes or alligators in a year. Only time will tell... lol

Al -- it gave me great pleasure receiving your message. I started this thread in homage to some of the grow out challenges from years back. Those were always my favorite threads. I look back from time to time at those fun competitions.

Thank you Brad! Im glad to hear it! Who knows. Maybe someday we will do something similar again.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

*********2 WEEK UPDATE**************

I have been caring for this group for 2 weeks. I am a few days late on the two week update. The fish are doing very well. They at like horses, are very active and aggressive. More so that other juveniles groups I have raised in the past. The coloration has most definitely began to come in around the outside edges. One pair has formed. They laid eggs and they regularly occupy the lower left hand side of the tank. I doubt the male is mature enough to fertilize the eggs. I want to grow the group and will likely have to separate the males from the females as they get a little bigger to keep the peace and to get optimal growth.

I have also obtained videos of the parents and grandparents and will update with further information when I get the minute.

Look for the food at the :46 second mark....

Batata 2 week no 6.jpg
    Batata 2 week no 7.jpg
    Batata 2 week no 5.jpg
    Batata 2 week no 1.jpg
    Batata 2 week no 2.jpg
    Batata 2 week no 4.jpg

Hope you enjoy this grow out journey with me (us)!

BMC

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Great looking fish Brad, I think growing them out (and maybe separating the males/females) is a great idea. They still look like they have lots of growing to do yet.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacob

Beautifully done!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast