ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick Diamond Blue after Excel overdose

Registered Member

Default Re: Sick Diamond Blue after Excel overdose

The wound is getting better from my perspective. I'm following your advice & picked up an anti-baceterial Rx in SeaChem's Kanaplex. I shot this video for you to see his progress. For context, progress= wound no longer raw pink & appears to be healing with old skin beg to fall off. He moves around but can't get upright yet but this is definitive progress as he was listless before.

https://youtu.be/YaU3V86DSj4

Registered Member

Here is a better video since I'm doing a h20 change.
    https://youtu.be/HfeTkbIgYuc

Real Name
    Francis

IMO best to use pure kanamycin, Seachem Kanaplex active ingredients kanamycin sulfate (32%) Inactive ingredients: excipients (68%).

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailyme...9-db5f8b6ae252
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Registered Member

Where can one get pure kanamycin?

Real Name
    Francis

Try here Dana Edwards @ Everything Aquatics

https://everythingaquatic.net/product/kanamycin/

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    Where can one get pure kanamycin?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thank you! I purchased both from the website & this from Amazon. My thought is I won't get the Rx you recommended for 1 week & the other I can begin now.
    Screenshot_20230117_205127_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20230117_213136_Chrome.jpg

I should have checked everything before posting. I still think the aeromonas was the cause of the would but the ingredients of excel do not contain gluteraldehyde in any form. It does, however, contain chlorine. It looks to me as if the swim bladder has completely deflated. If it doesnt have a hole in it, it can be a few days to a few weeks. If it has a hole in it It can repair over time (months not weeks). During that time he will lay on the bottom and be exposed to every bacteria in the tank. Over time it becomes hard to watch them.
    You will need to do daily water changes and wipe the glass well. Antibiotics can be used for 10 days at a time with a 2 week break between treatments. There are no guarantees with swim bladder. It depends alot on the fish. Aquarium salt helps with osmoregulation but we also dont know the extent of gill damage. If it was too bad they can repair somewhat, but if the burns are too bad it will leave him susceptible to bacterial gill disease.

Tammy
    tammy.jpg
    Last edited by jeep; 01-18-2023 at 11:39 AM.

I reviewed this thread and found something I initially missed.. another possible cause of that lesion is the Plecos.. I have not kept this particular species of pleco with Discus but I do know that omnivorous plecos can grow fond of Discus slimecoats.. many members here have seen that...The result is similar to your lesion.. I would think its a strong possibility.

Food & Diet

Blue Eyed Pleco are omnivores and should be fed a varied diet of sinking prepared, gel feed, and biofilm from driftwood. They shouldn’t be fed large amounts of high-protein meaty foods, but these should be an occasional treat. Blue Eyed Pleco are nocturnal, so be sure and feed them before turning out the lights for the night. Any food added to the tank in the daytime will sit until evening and may rot and spoil your water.

While this fish will eat algae, it shouldn’t be its primary diet. Don’t expect this species to keep aquarium glass algae-free. It will collect algae and biofilm from driftwood.
    source https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/blue-eyed-pleco/

hth, al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I reviewed this thread and found something I initially missed.. another possible cause of that lesion is the Plecos.. I have not kept this particular species of pleco with Discus but I do know that omnivorous plecos can grow fond of Discus slimecoats.. many members here have seen that...The result is similar to your lesion.. I would think its a strong possibility.

source https://www.fishlaboratory.com/fish/blue-eyed-pleco/

hth, al

Thank you. That is valid input, but knowing my tank well I highly doubt this has anything to do with the Plecos. The issue happened when the tank was overdosed with SeaChem Excel and as a result all of the fish were stressed and their slime coat began detoriating. There was no issue prior to this. This fish was immediately moved to a hospital tank so the plecos could not have done anything. They reall do not interact with fish on the bottom of the tank (outside of the clowns during feeding) as it is heavily planted. Here is a an example of the tank 1 year ago when 5 of the 6 of the Diamond Blue Discus were babies.

https://youtu.be/odjni-Q3E5A

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tkuilderd View Post
    I should have checked everything before posting. I still think the aeromonas was the cause of the would but the ingredients of excel do not contain gluteraldehyde in any form. It does, however, contain chlorine. It looks to me as if the swim bladder has completely deflated. If it doesnt have a hole in it, it can be a few days to a few weeks. If it has a hole in it It can repair over time (months not weeks). During that time he will lay on the bottom and be exposed to every bacteria in the tank. Over time it becomes hard to watch them.
    You will need to do daily water changes and wipe the glass well. Antibiotics can be used for 10 days at a time with a 2 week break between treatments. There are no guarantees with swim bladder. It depends alot on the fish. Aquarium salt helps with osmoregulation but we also dont know the extent of gill damage. If it was too bad they can repair somewhat, but if the burns are too bad it will leave him susceptible to bacterial gill disease.

Tammy
    tammy.jpg
    My understanding about Excel is that it contains Polycycloglutaracetal - an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde. I think you are likely right about the swim bladder. I am emotionally vested with this guy so if I am into doing this treatment. I just did exactly what you said yesterday - I wiped down all of the sides of the tank & added new fresh h20. I have added 3.5 tbsp of NaCl and will begin treatment once I receive the meds over the next few days. Tammy, I really, really appreciate your insight & help/support.
    Last edited by Contrarian; 01-18-2023 at 02:38 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

My understanding about Excel is that it contains Polycycloglutaracetal - an isomeric form of glutaraldehyde. I think you are likely right about the swim bladder. I am emotionally vested with this guy so if I am into doing this treatment. I just did exactly what you said yesterday - I wiped down all of the sides of the tank & added new fresh h20. I have added 3.5 tbsp of NaCl and will begin treatment once I receive the meds over the next few days. Tammy, I really, really appreciate your insight & help/support.
    Seachem paraguard contains gluteraldehyde. Excel does not. But tbh, either of these products, when overdosed can cause extreme gill damage and any number of internal injuries.

Tammy
    Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

Registered Member

Does Kanamycin Sulfate elimnate the bio filter bed? I was considering adding a sponge filter that I had established in the sump tank of my show tank. Would that be a waste of time because the bio bed in the sponge filter will be killed off the second I dose the meds?

Does Kanamycin Sulfate elimnate the bio filter bed? I was considering adding a sponge filter that I had established in the sump tank of my show tank. Would that be a waste of time because the bio bed in the sponge filter will be killed off the second I dose the meds?
    You are very welcome for the help. I would hold off on doing the sponge until all treatments are finished. I would bet that your filtration is compromised and do diligent water changes using prime to protect from further damage. I am keeping your baby in my thoughts and am hoping for the best although its not looking good atm.

Tammy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast