AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick Diamond Blue after Excel overdose

Default Re: Sick Diamond Blue after Excel overdose

Just an observation but generally tetras and loaches are far more sensitive to toxins than discus. That no other fish in the tank had an issue except the discus is not really likely if this was a toxin added to the water. I really think there is something else that happened here than overdosed excel.
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Just an observation but generally tetras and loaches are far more sensitive to toxins than discus. That no other fish in the tank had an issue except the discus is not really likely if this was a toxin added to the water. I really think there is something else that happened here than overdosed excel.
    Al
    Al,
    I agree with you. I think the potential addition of the excel is secondary to an already exsisting bacterial infection in the discus. This lesion i have seen too many times in discus. It is always the same. Looks very much like a heater burn with white fungus look to it. It took me 9 months of intensive reseach and the loss of 1 discus and 1 angelfish as well as information gathering from many other people to get an absolute answer to what caused it.
    I would be more than happy to share this information with the forum. It will take a while for me to write it up but i can do so.

Tammy
    Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

HI Tammy,
    I do remember your interest in this..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...esearch-(long)

We would welcome anything you have found out in your research. Thank you!

AL
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-18-2023 at 06:38 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Day #1 - 70% water change today as there was some residual debris from cleaning & other as well as to begin medication. 3 hours later I just rcvd the Kanamycin Sulfate (100%) & dosed 1 spoonful per 10 gallons every 24 hours in severe & every 48 hours moderate as instructed. Since you have worked with this antibiotic previously is there any advice on initially giving a slightly stronger dose then one scoop & do you agree or not to dose every 24 hours with 25% h20 changes preceeding a new dose or go more conservative with one dose every 48 hours? Instructions state to repeat for up to 6 days or longer when every other day up to 13 days.

I'll update tomorrow with a photo/video to begin a diary unless everyone thinks that's overkill & just update after 3 or 4 days.
    Last edited by Contrarian; 01-19-2023 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    Day #1 - 70% water change today as there was some residual debris from cleaning & other as well as to begin medication. 3 hours later I just rcvd the Kanamycin Sulfate (100%) & dosed 1 spoonful per 10 gallons every 24 hours in severe & every 48 hours moderate as instructed. Since you have worked with this antibiotic previously is there any advice on initially giving a slightly stronger dose then one scoop & do you agree or not to dose every 24 hours with 25% h20 changes preceeding a new dose or go more conservative with one dose every 48 hours? Instructions state to repeat for up to 6 days or longer when every other day up to 13 days.

I'll update tomorrow with a photo/video to begin a diary unless everyone thinks that's overkill & just update after 3 or 4 days.

I would follow the directions on the bottle. I do not know the dosage in what you are using. There are several ways to administer treatment but the one on the bottle is preferable.
    Tammy

Registered Member

Thank you for the answers. I'll give an update after I do a 25% h20 change & another dose. He appears to be getting better.
    On another note, I woke up to eggs laid on my corner overflow. Are these discus eggs or possibly Chorydora eggs?
    20230122_140446.jpg
    20230122_140423.jpg20230122_140423.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Those would be discus eggs, although they don't look fertile. Could be the lighting though...

Registered Member

Likely not on the eggs being fertile esp. Considering it's their first etc.
    On my Discus that is ill. I'm on day #4 kanamycin sulfate treatment & seeing positive results in energy & wounds healing but still mostly negative buoyancy. A breeder friend suggested 1 tsp. magnesium sulfate to my 10 gal hosptal tank. Any thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/YjzlOvSBEcw

Quote Originally Posted by Contrarian View Post
    Likely not on the eggs being fertile esp. Considering it's their first etc.
    On my Discus that is ill. I'm on day #4 kanamycin sulfate treatment & seeing positive results in energy & wounds healing but still mostly negative buoyancy. A breeder friend suggested 1 tsp. magnesium sulfate to my 10 gal hosptal tank. Any thoughts?
    https://youtu.be/YjzlOvSBEcw
    Magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) is a laxative. Its used when fish are constipated and blocked up/bloated ..In this condition there can be loss of balance from the build up of gases in the digestive tract. I do not using it will help here.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

Thx - I knew it was a laxative & it's retail name from using it myself lol. I was told with negative buoyancy that the fish can retain fluids & the epsom salt can push it thru.

How would you suggest I help the fish reset his fish bladder (if I can)? I'm on day 5 of a 6 day cycle of kanamycin sulfate. Any advice on getting the fish to eat is appreciated. The fish is stronger but lays on his side as it's not strong enough to right himself I'm coming up on 3 weeks since he last has eaten. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Contrarian; 01-23-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Registered Member

Update- I decided to try & see if he would eat. I did not witness him eating but all of the food was gone 15 min later. It appears between the food & feeling better from the antibiotics he began immediately showing energy & temporarily swam upright but could barely regulate depth & came to a landing upright but nothing neutral about it & stayed upright for a min then layed sideways again. I'm planning on finishing off the antibiotic on day 10 (currently on day 6 of treatment of kanamycin sulfate. Unfortunately I didn't get any video so all I would be sharing is him sideways. I'm still hopeful & will update next week.

Registered Member

Today is the first day after completing the cycle of kanamycin sulfate. It's also the 3rd feeding in 4 days this fish has eaten. He appears to continue to recover as he can get upright & swim for short spurts. Skin lesions & fin rot turned around. Please judge for yourself & share if you have been following. Here are 3 videos from today.

https://youtu.be/Bqr4647Kw6A

https://youtu.be/KgBR9iN3U6E

https://youtu.be/yVNhmU7u0Aw
    Last edited by Contrarian; 01-28-2023 at 08:58 PM.

He is looking much better.. I really hope it pulls through for you. This one has a strong will to live!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member

In my mind, this appears to be a swim bladder recovery issue at this point. Any advice?

Registered Member

You said it was an overdose. Might I asked how much did you add excel into your tank?

Multiple times I was adding double dose of excel with no side effect or issue for a fish

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast