ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A color question

Default A color question

If I cross a blue SS with a red SS (one I got from you, Al) will the kids all be red SS?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: A color question

That is a good question Liz and I wish I knew the answer. There is a lot to learn about Discus genetics.

I am going to start combing through what has been published. I just found this and I will read it when I have the time.
    AACL Bioflux, 2021, Volume 14, Issue 2. http://www.bioflux.com.ro/aacl 832 Genetic variation of domesticated discus (Symphysodon spp.) 1,2Tian T. Ng, 1Yeong Y. Sung, 1Muhd Danish-Daniel, 3Patrick Sorgeloos, 4,5Yves V. de Peer, 1Li L. Wong, 1Min P

Real Name
    Francis

I asked Cary Strong this question yesterday. His reply was, No red and blue are in the same lineage. Some fried from blue snake skin, Spawns are more red base well actually Rusty Brown but as they get bigger, they tend to look a little bit redder with the right lighting and food. If Leopard or leopard snake are in the bloodline, then it’s a different story. Like I said, if you’re breeding blue, fine line snake, skins alone, they will produce a percentage a very deep bass red more of a rusty maroon.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

My blue SSs only produce blue.
    Mama Bear

Its a tough question to generalize on as I think it likely that other genes interact with snakeskin expression.

I agree with Cary here as far my snakeskins go. They throw blues and red to various degrees but I get far more blues than reds .. I remember one batch of fry many moons ago that were all blue..except for one that was seriously red.

Liz your snakes may have other genes at work but if you are crossing them to mine I would say that its extremely unlikely the kids would be red... you may not even get any reds.
    Hth,al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

That is a great help, Al. I feel that I need to put cross. I've been culling too many fry for gill plate. Your started our very red and as she has grown shows more and more blue. If I ever get my laptop working I'll take a pic of her. Brian has seen her. She's a big girl with excellent conformation.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

My Wayne Eruptions and Singapore Fireworks off springs were blues mostly, blues on the 14 stress bars but on the 9 stress bars their were many reds, some solid red, pearl red, and red turquoise. Note originally snakeskin Discus were from Schmidt Focke Red turquoise. At some point Mendel Law kicks in right when the breeder thinks he or she has establish the color, it might be F3 or F4 generation and when that happens chef's surprise.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    ....At some point Mendel Law kicks in right when the breeder thinks he or she has establish the color, it might be F3 or F4 generation and when that happens chef's surprise.

Cliff
    Cliff I love that line.. aint that the truth!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Wait! You mean to tell me they will not be purple? 😜

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pitdogg2 View Post
    Wait! You mean to tell me they will not be purple? ��
    Yeah! Now that makes me wonder. I thought crossing a straight line turk with a tiger turk was how you got checkerboards!
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.