ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Source for German Wonder

Registered Member

Default Source for German Wonder

Hi all, was wondering if there was still a way of acquiring some German Wonder discus now that Stendker has closed down? If not, is there an available asian strain you would recommend? Thanks!

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Source for German Wonder

There's some funky stuff going on with Stendker "shutting down"... it doesn't seem like that's entirely the case (maybe just until it is?).
    Supposedly they're setting up a US breeding facility at Super Cichlids.

Take that for what it's worth. I think they also made a post saying that Stendker would ship directly to customers now instead of going through distributors. But I figured that's just in the EU, not worldwide. But I could be wrong.

Every discus I own is Stendker and I'm happy with them. But I wouldn't buy another one just based on what's gone on with the company.

Registered Member

Post a pic of what you’re looking for and someone here will be able to help. Same fish have different names depending on where you go.

Real Name
    Jacob

GW-Jumbo-scaled.jpg

GW10-3-scaled.jpg

Here's a couple from the Stendker website.

Registered Member

Registered Member

apologies for late reply; jacob, that's incredibly interesting about stendker. not sure what to make of the news, but happy that maybe i'll be able to source someday. located in US though, so i'm probably out of luck. those pics are exactly what i'm looking for!

pablos, great looking fish!

Gorgeous discus !! Thanks for sharing. Sorry Stenkers are having so much trouble now.

Real Name
    Jacob

I think there's plenty of alternative sources for fish that look very similar to the German Wonders if you're having trouble sourcing Stendkers.

Registered Member

Such as what? The closest thing I can thing of is tiger Turks and even those aren’t the same.

Registered Member

Might be a good idea to talk to the owner of Super Cichlids. They visited Stendker last year, and just brought in about 600 Stendker Discus. They don’t ship live fish, but if they have them in stock, they would already be in the U.S.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dicsus34 View Post
    Such as what? The closest thing I can thing of is tiger Turks and even those aren’t the same.
    I was really close to getting a bunch of the German wonders, but the more I did looking around, the more I saw of the more mature version and they didn't look very similar to the smaller sizes. As you can see above, even on Stendker's website... the adult version of the German Wonder changes quite a bit... or at least in my opinion it does. And I understand that's a part of fish maturing. That's not to say they're not beautiful at all stages, I think they are. But in most cases I've seen, they lose that stark yellow head for the most part. Just the adult form seems to look pretty similar to some other strains. In particular, a number of the leopard options. Again, this is just my opinion, obviously.

From what I hear they didn’t do the right thing with Hans, who was the US distributor for them for many many years. I’ve heard they’re shutting down, not shutting down, to much gray area for me. My advice to anyone would be to check out Hans new website as he’s got a brand new supplier who from what I have heard has a very good reputation and offer some beautiful looking fish�� If it’s any consolation I visited Hans this weekend and picked up a group of 6 discus from him and must say his facility is top notch and the fish are beautiful. I will be reporting back in the coming weeks to document how they adjusted and took to my set up and water parameters.