AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Jumping Spider Project

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default My Jumping Spider Project

July last year I bought my first jumping spider slings (baby spider). I got two regal jumping spider slings, they were only 1/4 inch, tiny things and by mid-October they were adults. I ended up with a male and female; Pudding and Scooter.

This is Pudding

Pudding by Pat Husband

This is Scooter

Scooter by Pat Husband

Then I bought two more slings from a local breeder and expressed an interest in breeding and she bought over Lovely and Charley.

This is Lovely

Lovely, Female Regal JS by Pat Husband

I do not have any photos of Charley. He looks exactly like Pudding. All male regal jumping spiders have the same black and white pattern. So after I had the four adult around each other awhile. All in their own enclosures I decided to introduce Pudding and Lovely and this happen.

More later.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Default Re: My Jumping Spider Project

Pat those are incredible pics!!!!.. I take it the Mirrorless Z9 is working out well for you?

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Pat those are incredible pics!!!!.. I take it the Mirrorless Z9 is working out well for you?

al
    Thank you Al, it took a bit of time and practice to get "great" spiders pics. I use a light box, around F14-22 and a 105 macro with two extension tubes to give me that sweet spot. Yes, I am loving the Z9 but still is a learning curve
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Thank you Al, it took a bit of time and practice to get "great" spiders pics. I use a light box, around F14-22 and a 105 macro with two extension tubes to give me that sweet spot. Yes, I am loving the Z9 but still is a learning curve
    Pat
    You are lucky that your models are so well behaved and staying still for you! Thats one great thing about spiders..immobility is in their nature.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

That's extremely cool, Pat. Great pics and videos!

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    You are lucky that your models are so well behaved and staying still for you! Thats one great thing about spiders..immobility is in their nature.

al
    That would be nice if true Al but jumping spiders like to move. They go for height and light.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    That's extremely cool, Pat. Great pics and videos!
    Thank you Jacob
    Pat

Registered Member

I’m never, ever coming over LOL. My absolute nightmare.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova View Post
    I’m never, ever coming over LOL. My absolute nightmare.
    No worries, the spiders are each in their own enclosure in an upstairs bedroom lol. Even my hubby is warming up to them and he is totally a non-spider guy.
    Pat

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    No worries, the spiders are each in their own enclosure in an upstairs bedroom lol. Even my hubby is warming up to them and he is totally a non-spider guy.
    Pat
    N-O-P-E !! Lots of worries ;-) I wouldn't like it if they were 3 houses down. And I used to own a big snake in college. Phobias are real... He must love you very very much, hang onto him!

Real Name
    Jacob

I hate to say it, but you've probably got some of these guys/girls a lot closer than three houses down!

I do not enjoy being surprised by spiders, but if I know they're there I really enjoy watching them. There was one that made a nice web in the corner of my garage this fall and I would fed him as many size-appropriate bugs as I could catch every day. She(?) started coming out and anticipating I was going to toss her some flies.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I hate to say it, but you've probably got some of these guys/girls a lot closer than three houses down!

I do not enjoy being surprised by spiders, but if I know they're there I really enjoy watching them. There was one that made a nice web in the corner of my garage this fall and I would fed him as many size-appropriate bugs as I could catch every day. She(?) started coming out and anticipating I was going to toss her some flies.
    Hi Jacob, these guys are all domestically breed. Jumping spiders have become hugely popular.

and I agree with you that I do not like being surprised especially when you catch a web across the face. When I run into one I back away to see who the owner is lol. It's cool you started to feed your local spiders. They are smart little beings
    Pat

Real Name
    Jacob

I have thought about capturing some of the ones (jumping spiders) that live under my bee hive lids for some time. I try very hard not to hurt them and usually just relocate them nearby and assume they find their way back just fine. Usually I can work around them, but occasionally they need to be moved temporarily for their safety.

Real Name
    Steve

We have many jumping spiders in our back yard. They like my little green house. Their eyesight is apparently incredible. I had one a couple years ago living in a pile of old lumber whose body was over an inch long. It must have been there a while. I couldn't help but keep my distance. As a kid I had a couple face to face experiences. I was cutting across a field once and stopped just short of a large garden spider web (yellow and black oval abdomen). Once on an exploring trip a few blocks from home to an old farm I ventured inside the old delapidated barn. Just like in the movies. I'm walking slowly through it and suddenly realized I was a foot away from a web that spanned the whole space with one of those brown spiders with the knobby backs about the size of my hand sitting in the middle. Really. I ran out as fast as I could. I figure it could catch birds in that web. My wife hates spiders so i get to be the household hero all the time.

Love the pics and video Pat. Makes me consider getting my camera out again.
    Lifting dictionaries literally strengthens your muscles.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    We have many jumping spiders in our back yard. They like my little green house. Their eyesight is apparently incredible. I had one a couple years ago living in a pile of old lumber whose body was over an inch long. It must have been there a while. I couldn't help but keep my distance. As a kid I had a couple face to face experiences. I was cutting across a field once and stopped just short of a large garden spider web (yellow and black oval abdomen). Once on an exploring trip a few blocks from home to an old farm I ventured inside the old delapidated barn. Just like in the movies. I'm walking slowly through it and suddenly realized I was a foot away from a web that spanned the whole space with one of those brown spiders with the knobby backs about the size of my hand sitting in the middle. Really. I ran out as fast as I could. I figure it could catch birds in that web. My wife hates spiders so i get to be the household hero all the time.

Love the pics and video Pat. Makes me consider getting my camera out again.
    Steve, I use to go quail hunting with my dad as a kid and this is in Florida. So there are plenty of large spiders with even larger webs. I hated catching those webs across my face. The webs were so strong and large you could throw a large stick into the web and the stick would be suspended in the web. I was convinced (as a kid) that I would not get free of the web.
    Pat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast