ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Set-up Question

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Default New Set-up Question

I want to upgrade my tank and it's contents. I am looking for a 40 to 55 gallon, upright tank to purchase. I have an Aqua Clear filtration system that hangs on the back of my tank. It includes a foam insert, an activated carbon bag, and an ammonia remover. With regular water changes, will this be enough to house discus?

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: New Set-up Question

What size Aqua Clear do you have? You'll need at least an Aqua Clear 70. Also, an air stone or sponge filter for aeration.

Real Name
    Mervin

You won't need the activated carbon nor ammonia remover.

Real Name
    Jacob

I'm closing in on a year with a 75 gallon using solely sponge filters for a grow out from 2.5". Now I've got an AquaClear 110 on it and down to just one sponge filter to clear up some floor space in the tank. But as far as a growout was concerned, sponge filters worked just fine for me. Doing about 90% daily water changes. To be honest, the AquaClear is a bit of a headache because I'm always worried about what it's slurping up and what might be hiding inside of it. Though I've been cleaning it once a week and there's not been too much stuff lurking in it.

Fairly early pic:
    20220324_174422.jpg.f08e2e78f100ecee5af4b775824dfa03.jpg

The smallest sponge there was just idling along in case I needed to move one to QT. Was running three of those big tall Aquarium Co-Op geen ones (double stacked large size) and one in the background hanging on the wall.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-23-2023 at 01:06 PM.

Registered Member

You can do 5 discus in a 55. You can put a sponge at the end of the aquaclear inlet tube. Take out the carbon/ammonia and replace that with ceramic rings. Sounds like you’re new? If so, look into a python system to change water, you’ll need to do that a lot with Discus or they may not do so well.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

I will upgrade my Aqua Clear, since I'm getting a bigger tank. I currently have two vertical air tubes in the tank with two airstones. It sounds like the contents of my Aqua Clear: Sponge, carbon remover, ammonia remover, are all unnecessary. That is hard to believe with my Colorado water. I don't think it will hurt the discus, but some are claiming it's not necessary.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

smsimcik: I will upgrade my Aqua Clear, since I'm getting a bigger tank. I currently have two vertical air tubes in the tank with two airstones. It sounds like the contents of my Aqua Clear: Sponge, carbon remover, ammonia remover, are all unnecessary. That is hard to believe with my Colorado water. I don't think it will hurt the discus, but some are claiming it's not necessary.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

bossanova: I will be new with Discus. I've had a 40 or larger tank for about fifteen years. I do have a Python system for water changes. In nature, Discus live in pretty bad waters. My tank has always been really clean. This is why I don't think I need to remove the gravel, but I'm sure people will disagree. I would say... Look at the water they live in, in nature! Anyway, I could remove the gravel, if I have to. What's the difference between a sponge at the end of the inlet tube, and the sponge I have in the the Aqua Clear?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mrdavesykes View Post
    smsimcik: I will upgrade my Aqua Clear, since I'm getting a bigger tank. I currently have two vertical air tubes in the tank with two airstones. It sounds like the contents of my Aqua Clear: Sponge, carbon remover, ammonia remover, are all unnecessary. That is hard to believe with my Colorado water. I don't think it will hurt the discus, but some are claiming it's not necessary.
    The sponge in your Aqua Clear is necessary. The Carbon pack is optional. If you are doing frequent water changes, as you should, you shouldn't need carbon filtration. Some people think carbon filtration actually harms discus.
    If it were me, I would run 2 sponge filters rather than just airstones. You would get the benefit of aeration and filtration at the same time.
    If you are going to start with young discus to grow out, yes, you need to remove the gravel. If you go spend some time in the beginner's section reading the stickies at the top of the page, you will learn why. There's also tons of other useful information there for a beginner trying to set up a new discus tank.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol something you need to know is these fish are far from wild. Next if wild the Amazon water is very clean! Plus it’s a river!! So your new home for discus will need to be cleaner than any tank you’ve owned . Main thing in keeping discus is clean water. Now if you get domestic discus these were raised in vats with the water changed 2-3 times a day. So again clean water is needed .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dave

Iminit: Ha... What about using distilled water. You can't get cleaner than distilled water.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok now we’re at the too clean. There’s nothing in distilled water so you will have to add minerals and still have to change a lot of water. How many discus do you plan to buy to start? A 55g is the minimum size tank and the most you can put in it is 6. Now these fish can get tp 6”. So they’re big and need clean water. With new 5” discus be prepared for daily 50% or more water changes. You’ll do this for at the least a month. So you need to know what’s up with your tap water. Your already keeping other fish? Test your tap water ph,kh,gh,ammonia and nitrates. Let the water sit for 24 hrs then retest for ph. If the ph stays the same that’s what you want your tank to be. If your ph changes you will need to age water before water changes.