AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Do you breed and ship anything?

Default Do you breed and ship anything?

Always interested in what members are working with. I'm curious what you all are breeding ...doesnt matter if its plants, discus, non-discus fish, inverts,reptile and amphibians or slime molds Please no importers here.. just what you are working with.

Do you ship? Or sell locally? Or trade for credit at a LFS?

I obviously work with discus, and more recently axolotls. Chickens, and rat snakes (have 10 various ages albino and hetero for albino)

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Do you breed and ship anything?

I breed and ship Discus, Dutch Blue Rams and Pitch Black Rams. I also breed as albino BN and Mystery snails just for fun. I take them to my LPS where they pay me cash. They pay whatever they pay the wholesaler.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jacob

I breed and ship honey bee queens (seasonally). But mostly sell those locally outside of a few people who have wanted them over the years. Probably winding the bees down, however, as the market for local honey is absolutely saturated, people would rather buy a $35 dollar queen and pay $20 to have it shipped then buy a $40 queen locally, and my "heart" is much less into it than it was when I started almost 10 years ago.

That said, I am my own worst salesman for queens because there is A LOT that goes into "needing" a queen and I try very hard to make sure I'm not just selling a queen to someone who says they need one. And, truth be told, most times they do not need one, they just need to wait a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-25-2023 at 10:43 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

I used to. Trying to start again. But, I'm pretty limited on space so it's a small operation.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I breed and ship honey bee queens (seasonally). But mostly sell those locally outside of a few people who have wanted them over the years. Probably winding the bees down, however, as the market for local honey is absolutely saturated, people would rather buy a $35 dollar queen and pay $20 to have it shipped then buy a $40 queen locally, and my "heart" is much less into it than it was when I started almost 10 years ago.

That said, I am my own worst salesman for queens because there is A LOT that goes into "needing" a queen and I try very hard to make sure I'm not just selling a queen to someone who says they need one. And, truth be told, most times they do not need one, they just need to wait a couple of weeks.
    I would love to raise honey bees.. its one thing I have always wanted to do for multiple reasons.. mostly because i used to brew alot of Honey Mead and am getting the itch to brew a batch! There has always been one small roadblock to me running some hives... As much as I like honey and photographing Bees, I'm really really bad with bee stings.
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I would love to raise honey bees.. its one thing I have always wanted to do for multiple reasons.. mostly because i used to brew alot of Honey Mead and am getting the itch to brew a batch! There has always been one small roadblock to me running some hives... As much as I like honey and photographing Bees, I'm really really bad with bee stings.
    al
    When I started if I got stung on the back of my hand, it would swell up and I couldn't make a fist. Typing would be hard because of the swelling, would itch massively, and the flesh would be sometimes 103+ degrees.
    Now, they're less than mosquito bites for me and don't even really itch.
    But that's after hundreds of bee stings per year for 8-9 years. A typical backyard beekeeper with a couple of hives shouldn't be getting stung much once they learn how to handle bees. There are times when I'll go through 40 hives and not get stung at all. And then sometimes bee work requires me to do something in a light rain or just before a thunderstorm rolls through and I'll take 60.

Real Name
    Willie

Been spawning L-number plecos and different Ancistrus types for a while. Everything I breed gets sold locally so I've not had to ship. Currently selling L-398's.

L398 Young1.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pix. Here they are at the optimal stage of cuteness.

L398 Tails.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Been spawning L-number plecos and different Ancistrus types for a while. Everything I breed gets sold locally so I've not had to ship. Currently selling L-398's.

L398 Young1.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pix. Here they are at the optimal stage of cuteness.

L398 Tails.jpg

Hey Willie! Good to hear from you! I'm glad to see you staying Busy!

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Carter

I just got my fish room expanded so I'm trying my hand at a few different fish to spawn. Right now, I have a breeding colony of l397s, a trio of apistogramma elizabethae, and a pair of apistogramma allpahuayo. Yesterday I just received a group of young adult red back manacapuru angelfish. They are scalare but look like altums (in shape and size) except with bright red coloring. Hoping to get a pair out of the group.

Real Name
    Tom

I don’t breed them but my bosemani rainbows have been breeding for years. 2 of my tanks have 6+ in them. They are constantly laying eggs. If I’m moving plants from either of these tanks I end up with fry. Never really attempted to breed. But I may in the future. My lfs takes them for $5 credit. I’ve got 5 ready to move. . Also have baby bushy nose plecos to move. Plenty of plants I mail out to people for free. Westeria,giant hygro and hornwort the biggest growers.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hey Willie! Good to hear from you! I'm glad to see you staying Busy!

Al
    Same here, Al. I'm downsizing from a 4-bedroom house to a 2-bedroom apartment next month, so the fish room is undergoing major prioritization. But the L-398's keep spawning in my barebottom discus tank without my doing anything.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Around the holidays, I acquired a small batch of Neolamprologus Multifasciatus (Shell Dwellers) and plopped them in my 125g. After adding a few dozen shells and feeding instant baby brine daily, after a few months, I now have an approximate 100+ from the 7 fish I started with....Once the fry get a bit bigger, I'm going to have to do something with them, maybe sell locally for pocket money
    Mike

Registered Member

I breed and sell locally to LFS plecos.
    L397
    L46
    L173
    L236 SW
    I’m gonna start shipping one of these days
    Last edited by captainandy; 02-08-2023 at 08:07 PM.